Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattonthemoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Toronto, ON
ADMIN NOTE: A new member has taken over maintaining the list in post two. It's being updated later in this thread.

While I wait for my rMBP, anyone know of a list of apps updated for retina already?

Last edited by a moderator:

malone

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I will no longer be updating this post, but others should continue posting updates to the thread. The following list is up-to-date as of Thursday, July 26, 2012.

1. Retina-updated or available in nightly build

Apps that are fully-updated for Retina displays: text, icons, and all other visual rendering.

See also: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/3132249/os-x-app-update-retina-display-support

1.1 Applications

1.2 Games

2. Near-future intentions of update announced or confirmed

Apps that will soon be fully-updated for Retina displays.

2.2 Applications

2.2 Games

3. Text rendering crisp with Retina

Apps that haven't been updated, but whose text (or some graphic assets) looks sharp anyways. Icons or other visual renderings are still blurry.

Last edited:

Bendix

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Omni Group plans on adding retina display support to all of their Mac apps in the near future. At least that was what one of their Support Ninjas told me. :p

KingArthurVI

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Penang, Malaysia
Apple had better be preparing updated versions of iWork. Those apps look awful on the Retina Display.
I could be wrong, but I thought I heard Tim Cook said that the iWork suite is already updated for retina display?

On a side note, if we really do have a user-compiled list of retina-ready apps, this thread ought to be stickied. :cool:

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
Has there been any news regarding the retinacation of Logic Pro? Final Cut Pro and Aperture have had the retinacation treatment.

TTyylleerr

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Any word on when Mozilla will be updating Thunderbird to retina ready resolution? I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything interesting, but I'm not very involved or up to date in the Mozilla community.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Any word on when Mozilla will be updating Thunderbird to retina ready resolution? I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything interesting, but I'm not very involved or up to date in the Mozilla community.

They still don't support native scroll bars for Lion so I wouldn't hold my breath....

TTyylleerr

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Ontario, Canada
They still don't support native scroll bars for Lion so I wouldn't hold my breath....

Ah, thats unfortunate. I never actually noticed that, but it doesn't bode well for updating.

I really like using Thunderbird as it works on my Windows based gaming rig too. I enjoy having the same email clients...

Thanks for your opinion on the matter.

bryenz

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
East Bay, CA
I'm hoping Reeder is ready, not much fun reading fuzzy RSS feeds!

Not yet - and I use it across Macs, iThings, etc. Easier to read feeds on the phone/pad than on the rMBP right now.

The one I'm waiting for is the Java Runtime. My company's remote access serves up RDP via Java and it's a little sketchy at present.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney
A downside to Apple's secrecy I guess, app designers probably now scrambling to put together Retina-ready versions of their apps, which isn't so good for Apple really, if their newest fanciest product is barely supported, customers won't be delighted after the initial new purchase buzz wears off.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
While not "retina-ready", both Adium and Echofon (Twitter client) look absolutely amazing on the rMBP. Cyberduck in a nightly build has at least updated so their text looks nice. The "latest" version on their site looks pretty bad, but the nightly looks much better.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Editing my post to create a list of Retina-ready apps or announcements of readiness intent. Will try to update occasionally with what's happening in this thread.

As of June 20, 2012:
*snip*

Thanks for updating the list...I'm keeping an eye on it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.