Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
For the past year I have used a PowerMac G4 running Tiger as my media and file server. Everything worked fine, and I could connect to it with all of the devices in my home (iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc) and I could playback media seamlessly.

Recently, I acquired a PowerMac G5, and planned to put this machine in place of my old setup. I've simply taken the drive that contained my media files and documents from my G4 and put it in my G5. No problem there.

Local playback of videos and music is working fine, as well as viewing pictures. But I cannot access any of these damn files over my LAN with ANY of my devices!

I have tried every 'Sharing' setting (SMB, AFP, FTP) in System Preferences and cannot get any of my home devices to pick up these g@d damn files. I also tried an old app called 'SharePoints' which I used on my G4, but apparently the application does not support Leopard as it crashes any time you try to create a new share.

So at this very moment, no one in my home can stream anything. No videos to AppleTV, no music to computers or handheld devices, nothing.

What do I need to do to be able to access my files via LAN again on this machine!?

Here's info on the G5.
PowerMac G5 (single) 1.8GHz. 1.5GB RAM, 160GB boot drive, with a 1.5TB data drive. It is running Leopard 10.5.8 with ALL of the latest updates.

I have attached a photo of what the Finder on my Mac mini (running Lion) says when I try to connect via AFP to the G5).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 9.49.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-06-18 at 9.49.48 PM.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you tried restarting your network? Unplug your router and plug it back in. Also make sure your G5 is getting a working IP address. Not one that starts with 169.

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The error message your getting suggests all of your devices are searching for the IP address of the G4 the drive came from instead of the G5. I suspect the G5 has been assigned a different address by your router. Try resetting the PRAM. Off the top of my head you start up the computer while holding "command-option-P-R" keys until you hear the second startup chime, then release the keys.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Well this is just crazy...

Last night I did a complete reinstall of Leopard, restored a Time Machine backup of my machine's previous state, and now everything is fine. I made no changes... the G5 has the same static IP, and the folders/volumes that I had shared have the same settings, and now all of the sudden it works.

I dunno what it was that kept it from working before, but at least it's working now. Though I did not check this thread last night (since I had already initiated the reinstall-and-restore plan), thanks for all your input everyone!

----------

The error message your getting suggests all of your devices are searching for the IP address of the G4 the drive came from instead of the G5. I suspect the G5 has been assigned a different address by your router. Try resetting the PRAM. Off the top of my head you start up the computer while holding "command-option-P-R" keys until you hear the second startup chime, then release the keys.

By the way, I had assigned the same IP as the previous G4 on my G5, but I removed the Keychain settings for that IP on my mini, and put in the new info but it wouldn't work. Weird how all of the sudden everything is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.