Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hi there.

Couple of days ago, I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro (13 inch, late 2011) from Apple Store Online.

However, on the website regarding Mountain Lion Up To Date, there was nothing about Refurbished Macs getting a free upgrade, and only new macs.

Did Apple change their policy, and are now no longer including Refurbished Macs onto their Up to Date Programs?

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Hi there.

Couple of days ago, I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro (13 inch, late 2011) from Apple Store Online.

However, on the website regarding Mountain Lion Up To Date, there was nothing about Refurbished Macs getting a free upgrade, and only new macs.

Did Apple change their policy, and are now no longer including Refurbished Macs onto their Up to Date Programs?

Refurbs come with the original os for that gen machine.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Refurbs come with the original os for that gen machine.

I know, but in the past, after Apple announces the new OS during WWDC, any macs purchased between the announcement and the the actual OS release, refurbished or not also gets a newer OS as part of up to date program, either in a disc, or via promo code for Mac App Store (which was the case for Lion)

Last year, Apple included Refurbs as part of the Up to Date program as well, so I was wondering if Apple is doing the same for this year as well. (If not, well, I'll have to plunk down $20 from the savings)

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Intrested in the answer, too.

Also, does buying a brand new late 2011 MBP after june 11th as a qualifying mac?

proximo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
I'm interested too (bought a late 2011 refurb on June 12th) but I suspect the answer will be "You got a substantial discount on your refurb so paying $20 to upgrade to Mountain Lion shouldn't be a problem."

eh270

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Hah, I bought a refurbished iMac on June 11 (cutoff!) and was initially excited until I saw the words "new qualifying Mac" :(

Fingers crossed, but.. it's only $19.99, so can't really complain TOO much :) .. of course, I might feel differently had I bought my iMac on July 25th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.