Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
After getting a GoPro Action Camera I have been getting more into video editing and the internal storage is painfully limited. As connectivity is limited Thunderbolt is the only way to go, but what drive/solution should I go for? I need at minimum 2TB and as Im doing the editing as a hobby, pricing is a concern.

So far the most affortable (or rather least rip-off) I have found is LaCie 2big Thunderbolt.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
After getting a GoPro Action Camera I have been getting more into video editing and the internal storage is painfully limited. As connectivity is limited Thunderbolt is the only way to go, but what drive/solution should I go for? I need at minimum 2TB and as Im doing the editing as a hobby, pricing is a concern.

So far the most affortable (or rather least rip-off) I have found is LaCie 2big Thunderbolt.

Your options are currently very limited with thunderbolt. I found this (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W3ZXJC/ref=asc_df_B006W3ZXJC2061582?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B006W3ZXJC&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15698183142056219234&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=) for a bit cheaper than the LaCie, but still way more expensive than a USB external drive.

Have you considered a USB 3.0 one? It would be much faster USB 2.0 and a lot cheaper than a thunderbolt drive.

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Your options are currently very limited with thunderbolt. I found this (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006W3ZXJC/ref=asc_df_B006W3ZXJC2061582?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B006W3ZXJC&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15698183142056219234&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=) for a bit cheaper than the LaCie, but still way more expensive than a USB external drive.

Have you considered a USB 3.0 one? It would be much faster USB 2.0 and a lot cheaper than a thunderbolt drive.

Nope, haven't considered that because my Macbook Air don't have a USB 3.0 port.Going that route would mean getting some kind of thunderbolt hub/adapter-thing.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
Oh sorry, forgot you mentioned it was a 2011.

Well your options are:
1. USB 2.0 (really cheap, large storage, slow transfers)
2. Thunderbolt (really expensive, large storage, fast transfers)
3. Some kind of online solution, which can vary a lot but would generally be a slow transfer

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh sorry, forgot you mentioned it was a 2011.

Well your options are:
1. USB 2.0 (really cheap, large storage, slow transfers)
2. Thunderbolt (really expensive, large storage, fast transfers)
3. Some kind of online solution, which can vary a lot but would generally be a slow transfer

Only 2. is a viable solution. If you have had any experience with video editing (especially in HD) you would know that USB2 is to slow. Actually, FCPX doesn't even allow you to have your library on a USB2-drive.

Or a Thunderbolt Display and Firewire 800 drive.... :D

That is somewhat extreme :) I would rather consider buy 21 inch imac instead ( Im actually concidering this).

Alleged

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
3rd Rock from the Sun
I'm really interested to know how do you and others go with editing/processing video on the MBA? Does it choke on the 4GB of RAM?

I'm getting the 2012 MBA next week and will be also doing GoPro edits and casual movie making (initially in iMovie, but perhaps an upgrade to FCP X in the future). My current thoughts are that the new MPA Ultimate should do the trick nicely?

tomaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I'm really interested to know how do you and others go with editing/processing video on the MBA? Does it choke on the 4GB of RAM?

I'm getting the 2012 MBA next week and will be also doing GoPro edits and casual movie making (initially in iMovie, but perhaps an upgrade to FCP X in the future). My current thoughts are that the new MPA Ultimate should do the trick nicely?

Im a happy camper. It helps alot to convert/transcode the media when importing. Also, as always using alot of effects will slow things down but generally the macbook is pretty fast and 4GB is sufficient. My problem is storage :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.