Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I feel like the iPod shuffle or nano might really take off if Apple made them more user friendly for athletes: runners, bikers, walkers, weightlifters etc. I have read a lot of complaints about the shuffle's headphones and how it dies when a little sweat or rain hits it.

Right now I use my iPod touch and strap it to my shoulder, but I would much rather use the much smaller shuffle or nano that clips to my shirt if these were more user friendly for sports (heart rate, gps, waterproof or at least resistant, and maybe some other features). The iPhone also has a great app (mapmytracks) that keeps track of speed, elevation, and distance while running.

The nano is not bad, but I feel like it is a little pricy for what you are getting. I might wait for the next refresh.

What does everyone else use for their running mp3 player?

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I have a current generation iPod Shuffle which I have used for running for about a year now.

I have gone through two apple headsets already. I didn't know if it was sweat, rain, or dust, but what happened was they both developed a really irritating level of noise, muffled playback, popping/static/scratching. I have a set of sony headphones I am using now and they have outlasted both of the apple sets.

I have looked at the new Nano and like it, but haven't taken the plunge yet. It seems like the running features for it are very limited, and I have never seen one in practice to get a feel for it's accuracy or ease of use.

I too would like to see an iPod designed for athletic use:
-Ruggedized
-Integrated solution for wear (arm band/clip/watchband)
-Bluetooth headphones (no oscillating 'jumprope' wires on my chest while I'm trying to run)
-Ability to install maps of areas you will run, GPS tracks progress on route along with vital data (pace, distance, time elapsed)
-Hardware button to advance to next track so you don't have to stop and fumble with a tiny touchscreen interface during your run

Wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be great?

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Agree!

I am right now using a cellphone in my pocket along with Sennheiser PMX 680 earphones. As far as earphones go, I am pretty sure I am never going back to anything else that is currently available.

But would be great to get a smaller device than a cellphone. The wish list above is fairly comprehensive. Considering the weird things that get invented and the crazy featues people throw in to design stuff for "humans", it's weird that a medium-priced running gadget isn't available.

ObsidianIce

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Seventh Circle of Hell
I think if the changed the Nano to have these the sales of them would skyrocket...

I have a current generation iPod Shuffle which I have used for running for about a year now.

I have gone through two apple headsets already. I didn't know if it was sweat, rain, or dust, but what happened was they both developed a really irritating level of noise, muffled playback, popping/static/scratching. I have a set of sony headphones I am using now and they have outlasted both of the apple sets.

I have looked at the new Nano and like it, but haven't taken the plunge yet. It seems like the running features for it are very limited, and I have never seen one in practice to get a feel for it's accuracy or ease of use.

I too would like to see an iPod designed for athletic use:
-Ruggedized
-Integrated solution for wear (arm band/clip/watchband)
-Bluetooth headphones (no oscillating 'jumprope' wires on my chest while I'm trying to run)
-Ability to install maps of areas you will run, GPS tracks progress on route along with vital data (pace, distance, time elapsed)
-Hardware button to advance to next track so you don't have to stop and fumble with a tiny touchscreen interface during your run

Wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be great?

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I am right now using a cellphone in my pocket along with Sennheiser PMX 680 earphones. As far as earphones go, I am pretty sure I am never going back to anything else that is currently available.

Thanks. I use my phone plus some Sony MDR-J10 - the sound is average but do they trick and they're easy to throw in a gym bag. I might try these Sennheiser though.

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I was also considering an mp3 player that is built into the headphones so you are cordless like a bluetooth headset. I think that this would be ideal for exercise, but not something that Apple would likely make.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I was also considering an mp3 player that is built into the headphones so you are cordless like a bluetooth headset. I think that this would be ideal for exercise, but not something that Apple would likely make.

Yes, the player could be so small and light that it would be feasible to incorporate it into the headset itself, removing the need for bluetooth and two things with power needs down to one. Good idea.

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India

That's actually not a bad idea. If nothing it will keep the cord out of the picture. Will still need the cellphone to do tracking stuff like route, speed, elevation, etc.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I personally run with my nano 6G. I use the Nike+ sportskit to get my pace, HR, splits, etc.

Maybe I just don't sweat that much, but I don't find the nano getting wet. Sometimes I just wear it on my hip, but I also use a watch band. The watchband helps out with being able to actually see the screen.

I made my first watchband out of elastic from the craft store. I lost that at the YMCA, so I made another. It didn't turn out as nice, so I bought an iWatchz band for about $20. It works great, but the strap is rubber, so it gets a little sweaty ... but not enough to zap the nano.

If you go with a watchband, get a clip to keep your headphone cables under control.

A set of headphones with a remote is also helpful during running. It allows you to skip/rewind songs without having to touch the screen.

ft

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Go get a pair, I dare you. http://www.oakley.com/products/2213/6708 Been around for a loooong time (hence only 512 MB). And I don't care who you are, they're fugly :)

As another user posted, I use my 6G Nano on a watchband (specifically, the TikTok). The back clip is exposed to your wrist, but that's the only part of the Nano that gets wet. Trust me, I trained for my second half-marathon with this combo, including a couple 15 mi training runs, and the thing stays remarkably dry. Headphones are looped up my shirt sleeve and into my ears; keeps the cable from flopping about. The Nike sensor does pretty well, but I always wore a GPS watch during training too. That way I could re-calibrate the Nike sensor to the exact distance.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I've heard the occasional mention of sweat damage to the shuffle too. The thing is, people only post when they are complaining 99% of the time. I don't think the shuffle has any difference in water resistance than an iphone. the earbuds are likely to go first and sennheiser makes great headphones that will resist sweat.

I just bought a shuffle specifically for running and if anything happens, I'll post here. so if you're reading this post months down the line and I haven't updated, know that they're still going strong!

EDIT:

WOW! I scrolled down a couple of pages and found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1324360/

This woman actually washed her shuffle and it still works great.

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
Nano plus running

I use my Nano 6th gen for running and training. So far this year, two completed marathons, one sporting 5 hours of rain (Stockholm). I use Philips earphones that fit my ears better than the Apple ones so cannot comment on them.

This is my second nano, the previous died when I took a swim in the pool together with the nano, did not work after that. But otherwise, a bit of general carefulness and they work in sweat, rain and snow.

// Gunnar

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
I have the second gen of shuffle, and its been throwne around so much, and I've droped it, its been out side in the rain.

Stupid little thing still works.

Except I can not keep in on loop, its only shuffle now.

the batt is also almost dead.

its missing some of the pices on it that make it stay closed together so the main chip can fall out if it wanted to..

The stupid thing still works fine to play music.

Im rather surprised!

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
I've heard the occasional mention of sweat damage to the shuffle too. The thing is, people only post when they are complaining 99% of the time. I don't think the shuffle has any difference in water resistance than an iphone. the earbuds are likely to go first and sennheiser makes great headphones that will resist sweat.

I just bought a shuffle specifically for running and if anything happens, I'll post here. so if you're reading this post months down the line and I haven't updated, know that they're still going strong!

EDIT:

WOW! I scrolled down a couple of pages and found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1324360/

This woman actually washed her shuffle and it still works great.

Update: this thing is awesome. It's incredible that such a tiny device can be constructed that is so elegant and useful. If feels like a star trek com badge. And I'm not at all missing the screen due to the voiceover feature. I actually prefer it since I don't have to unclip it and search through menues in a tiny screen.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

Sony makes a 2gb of exalt what you are asking

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I've always thought the shuffle made a fine running music player, the sweat thing, as far as I know, involves the 3rd generation shuffle head phones with the remote not the 4th gen shuffle itself.

Just hook it to your shirt collar and go! Easy to fiddle with the buttons because its right there. Even the 6th gen nano with a arm band isn't that bad.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Back when I was able to run, I used the older Shuffle 'Stick', and ear buds. That darned thing seemed indestructible. Well, until Apple discontinued it...

For telemetry, I used one of the old square Nano's and the Nike+ add-on, and the Nike+ controller wristband. Why did they ever drop that cool product.

The biggest problem, bar none, was going through headphones. Even those Yurbud things died, although they fit the best. I've got a pair that can't turn down the volume, only up. It's sweat damage even though they say they are immune for sweat. Yeah...

Last edited:

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I ran using the Gen1 Nano for many years. That little sucker was resilient! Rain, extreme heat, snow, etc. Never crapped out, and I sweat A LOT. I used it with the Nike+ chip and receiver, along with the gen1 Nike+ armband.

After hesitantly sending it off for the iPod Nano recall, I've been using the gen6 Nano replacement. Gotta say, I like the upgrade. It's smaller and less intrusive. The clip is great for clipping on my running shorts. I did miss having tactile buttons for next/prev...until I figured out the double/triple tap power button trick. This one is just as resilient as the Gen1 so far.

I only run about 30 miles a week. But I'm all around happy with the Gen6 Nano with Nike+. It does what I want: plays my music and tracks my run.

On another note, I highly recommend the Adidas/Sennheiser PMX680/680i headphones for running.

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
if u are a long distance runner then a shuffle or something with no screen does little use.

i run with my iphone and armband.

i need to know my pace and distance and time.

interval runs? again my iphone - RUNMETER!

so op to answer your question to really gear it to a a runner we need something like the pebble watch connected to a gps unit like our iphone.

now if something light ran runmeter then we are talking.

but not everyone runs 10+ miles on a single run

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
i basically run with a fanny pack. keep my iphone in it when running, using the nike+ apps and c25k.

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
If you are running even somewhat seriously, you might as well get a GPS watch. They cost as little as 99$, and worth every single cent. Much more accurate than using a phone GPS/Nike+ accelerometer, and almost all upload to the web.

I would personally LOVE to see a more runner friendly version of the shuffle/nano. More so the shuffle, as I don't really need to see anything when I'm running aside from the road. My shuffle, which was bought about 2 months after the last gen was released, lasted until yesterday, when I finally sweat it to death. I'm a profuse sweater though, I can lose as much as 6 pounds of water weight during a run over an hour, and I always wore it on my waistband. I can't believe how long it lasted.

Maybe a small gasket for the earphone jack, and a bit behind the movable parts would make it an almost perfect running companion. If it included some on the nike+ stuff that would be neat, and would definitely make it a running favorite.

And really, for 49$ I really can't complain about how long it lasted me.

SteppingStone

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2012
On the rare occasions I bring something to track my run, I just put my iPhone in a SPI belt.

I'd prefer to use something nano-sized but the accuracy isn't very good.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you are running even somewhat seriously, you might as well get a GPS watch. They cost as little as 99$, and worth every single cent. Much more accurate than using a phone GPS/Nike+ accelerometer, and almost all upload to the web.

You might also consider getting a GPS watch that supports a footpod type device. A lot of people run indoors as well ... GPS is useless indoors, so a footpod can help track your speed/splits/etc.

ajguckian

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Hudson Valley
You might also consider getting a GPS watch that supports a footpod type device. A lot of people run indoors as well ... GPS is useless indoors, so a footpod can help track your speed/splits/etc.

I actually do have a footpod for my Garmin 610. I mainly use it for tracking cadance, but is a pretty nice piece to use on the Dreadmill as well!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I actually do have a footpod for my Garmin 610. I mainly use it for tracking cadance, but is a pretty nice piece to use on the Dreadmill as well!

An added benefit is a better Instant Pace when outdoors if you set Speed Source to be the footpod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.