Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saleemyas3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
How often should i shut down my new air? It's my first mac and with such fast boot times, i wouldn't mind shutting it down to keep it alive and healthy.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You don't ever need to shut it down. Only restart it to install updates and sleep it when not using it.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
How often should i shut down my new air? It's my first mac and with such fast boot times, i wouldn't mind shutting it down to keep it alive and healthy.

When you're not using it? :confused:

Yes, the wake from sleep times are impressive, but unless I'm in the middle of something I have to save my place in, I just shut down. I even have the "CleanShutdownS" script on my desktop. Double click and voila! Off.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Every time the sum of the two minute digits is 10. So at 1:19, 1:28, 2:37, etc. Both am and pm.

LeGacY X

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
VA, USA
The best practice according Apple's battery care page, is to let the machine sleep, unless you will be away from it for more than week.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
I never shut down but sometimes I'm forced to.

With an external display plugged in occasionally waking from sleep my MBA runs very hot, fans full blast. Only cure is to shutdown, then power on. Not related to any rogue processes.

So annoying!

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Every time the sum of the two minute digits is 10. So at 1:19, 1:28, 2:37, etc. Both am and pm.
Clever!

I shut down my PC each and every night, like clockwork (pun intended). But I had heard that a Mac is different and either doesn't need to or shouldn't be shut down each night, so I was curious. Still learning...

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
What is the point of having a laptop? Don't ever shut it down. Just close the lid and open it up and use it whenever you need to instantly.. Dont' bother w/ the shutdown.. IN fact, I don't even shutdown my imac... so... there.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
That explains why I did not get the significance. Never watched LOST.

Does anyone who currently shuts down at night plan to change that when power nap is out?

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
That explains why I did not get the significance. Never watched LOST.

Does anyone who currently shuts down at night plan to change that when power nap is out?

You sure missed out. Awesome show. I shut down just about every time I am going to step away from the computer for more than 6 hours or so. i.e- when I leave for work in the morning, when I go back to work if I come home for lunch or when I go to bed.

LeGacY X

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
VA, USA
I'm sorry but I missed that part in both those links. Can you kindly point me to where Apple recommends letting the laptop sleep?

Sorry, it seems that they didn't mention the sleep or shutdown issue in those links. I apologize for for the false advertising. :( However, this is widely discussed topic on the Apple Support forums. After perusing the forums for a bit it seems that it comes down to personal preference as to what to do. For my personal use I sleep my computer far more often than I shut it down, probably shutting down for travel or updates about twice a month. This practice has been great for the number of Apple notebooks I have owned as I have never had battery or power issues with any of them. :D I will link a forum post with much useful information. Again sorry for the improper linking!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3740114?start=0&tstart=0

----------

Per the manual:

"If you aren’t going to use your MacBook Air for several days, it’s best to shut it down."

No reason given.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Air_11inch_Late2010_UG.pdf

HAHA I knew I read that somewhere in Apple literature!

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
No point to shutting it down so I don't waste the time. Updates will force me to restart so why would I do it otherwise? I love opening the screen and being ready to go.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
No worries. Sleeping uses up battery, little as it may be, which is probably why the manual says to shut it down if not using for several days. Closing the lid makes sense if you intend to pick back up within a short time. I prefer to shut down at the end of the day and not drain battery unnecessarily. To each his own.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You don't ever have to shut it down. Some Software Updates require a restart, but not a shut down. If you're exceeding your RAM capacity and paging out, restarting will reset your page outs to zero and free up swap file space on your Flash drive. Sleep will consume about 1% of battery for every hour of sleep. Standby mode drains even less battery, lasting up to 30 days.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i only use sleep if i need to use that again within 1-3 hours, if not, then i shut down, because the SSD is so fast, shutdown and powering it back on isn't really a hassle. it's blazingly fast.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
I can't speak for the macbook air but for the last 5 years, I NEVER shut down my Powerbook and it's lasted me this long. Sometimes (maybe 4-5 times a year?) it shuts off automatically due to unknown reasons. Maybe not shutting down improves the life?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.