Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
USA
Hi everybody,

I am a hardcore Apple fan, like many of you, and my current set up is a mid-2010 17" MBP and new iPad. That said, I really just use the iPad as a media consumption device, while I do a *lot* of creation on my MBP. I mainly use programs such as FCP, Motion, Media Composer, etc (I'm a big video person, and soon I will be getting into graphic design). I haven't even considered updating my MBP until recently, as I am going somewhere for 3 weeks which will require constant access to a computer-- and a lot of carrying it around. I was heavily considering the retina MBP, but I'd like to wait for a 2nd or 3rd generation version so more apps will be updated to support that awesome screen.

Here's my delimma: is a MBA good for video work in high power programs such as Premiere Pro, FCP (X or earlier), etc? Where will i notice a difference? Also, is it a bit superfluos to have both a MBA and an iPad? Will they conflict in use a lot of the time or not?

Thanks so much in advance!

dontcallmyname

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
I haven't got my air yet so can't comment on this with experience but I Hve an iPad and can speculate at my future usage...

You said you primarily use the iPad for media consumption and do creation on the mbp. I do much the same and I don't see any way that my usage would conflict greatly. At present I sometimes use my iPad to research and take notes directly to my laptop as opposed to changing between chrome and word. I suspect I will do the same when I have my air. I'll probably use the iPad more, have it become an extension of my air in terms of usage.

As you said, you use iPad mainly for consumption. If you were doing creation on it maybe it would conflict.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.