Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
Hi all,

I am just getting into moving my DVD's to my Mac and in the near future am thinking of doing the same with my Blu-rays especially to make use on my iPad 3. I have been reading a lot on how iFlicks can mux a MKV if the video itself is encoded in H.264, just contained in an MKV, thus allowing a very quick process of moving from MKV to M4V so it is playable on my iPad.

Hence my question is when ripping a Blu-ray disc using MakeMKV does it encode the video as H.264 allowing the video to simply be muxed instead of re-encoded?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Hi all,

I am just getting into moving my DVD's to my Mac and in the near future am thinking of doing the same with my Blu-rays especially to make use on my iPad 3. I have been reading a lot on how iFlicks can mux a MKV if the video itself is encoded in H.264, just contained in an MKV, thus allowing a very quick process of moving from MKV to M4V so it is playable on my iPad.

Hence my question is when ripping a Blu-ray disc using MakeMKV does it encode the video as H.264 allowing the video to simply be muxed instead of re-encoded?

MakeMKV simply rips the data from the disk.

The codec is either H264 for VC-1, depending on the distributer/company.

You would then have to re-encode the VC-1 files into H264 using something like Handbrake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.