Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dragonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hi,

I have the opportunity to get my brother to bring back a top of the range macbook pro retina from HK when he comes home. 1) Will it work fine here in UK just needing the replacement lip on power plug. 2) do apple stores stock both standard and fully upgraded models? Is there a way I can contact the HK store via email and not phone?
3) Can I buy the standard and get brother to get 16gb upgrade instore whilst waits?

Thanks

Retini

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2012
I live in HK although bought my MBPR BTO online, rather than from the store.

Regarding your questions:

1) Not a problem -- HK uses the same plugs as the UK so nothing to change. You'll get UK and US adapters as well as a UK extension cord. The prices in Hong Kong are a LOT cheaper as well

2) ifcmall@apple.com is the Apple store in HK. When I was there a few days ago, they had MBPR display models but were out of stock. I believe they had the 2.3 and 2.6 models but unsure about the 'ultimate' 2.7/16G system

3) I believe the only 16G model that stores stock is the ultimate system (and it is unclear if those have started shipping) and I doubt that stores can upgrade memory in a MBPR system on site. If your brother lives in HK, perhaps he can order a BTO system for you.

Dragonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008

1) Not a problem -- HK uses the same plugs as the UK so nothing to change. You'll get UK and US adapters as well as a UK extension cord. The prices in Hong Kong are a LOT cheaper as well

2) ifcmall@apple.com is the Apple store in HK. When I was there a few days ago, they had MBPR display models but were out of stock. I believe they had the 2.3 and 2.6 models but unsure about the 'ultimate' 2.7/16G system

3) I believe the only 16G model that stores stock is the ultimate system (and it is unclear if those have started shipping) and I doubt that stores can upgrade memory in a MBPR system on site. If your brother lives in HK, perhaps he can order a BTO system for you.

He lives in Australia and will be passing through for 1 day so only option is to pick one up on the day. Was hoping could get fully loaded top model when swung past. The ram is welded in apparently so difficult to upgrade. Would like 16gb ram but to be honest the price saving of about £500 on basic model in HK to UK is prob best going for and just take the 8gb. Will email them and see what they say about stocking the fully loaded version.

Thanks

kyle0103

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
I called the HK IFC apple store and they said stock come in randomly and sold out in minutes, so I doubt he can find one right away.

The staff actually said I am better off ordering online. Which I did and 2-3 weeks await.

Dragonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
I called the HK IFC apple store and they said stock come in randomly and sold out in minutes, so I doubt he can find one right away.

The staff actually said I am better off ordering online. Which I did and 2-3 weeks await.

But if I order it, how can I guarantee it will be there on the day and time he is there. That is the problem.. if he misses it, getting it to UK will be v difficult. Esp avoiding import duties.

kyle0103

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
But if I order it, how can I guarantee it will be there on the day and time he is there. That is the problem.. if he misses it, getting it to UK will be v difficult. Esp avoiding import duties.

thats the problem, I called a couples of premium reseller and found out that sometimes the high end model (the one with 2.6ghz as default) has more stock then the base model. So u could ask your brother to check out the store if u are willing to splash the cash on it.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
There are also visitors from mainland who want to buy the best and the latest. There are tones of them visiting the Apple Store in ifc mall everyday.

Dragonis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008

Sent them an email, no reply yet.... :( Hopefully by end of july they can confirm there will be fully upgraded models kept in stock as a policy.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009

Have you ever heard of Poste restante? Have it sent to a post office in HK for later pick up. Charges apply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.