Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emacna1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Was hoping you guys could help me out. I'm new to the iPhone/iOS scene and I'm wondering what is the best app for Gtalk and also what is the best text editor for Dropbox?

Gala

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2012
I just downloaded Verbs. Its really clean looking. The icon is identical to the Messages icon but grey. The app only offers gtalk, aim, mobileme, facebook integration. It costs .99 for the app and 5.99 for the in app premium upgrade. The .99 version gives you alerts for 5 min after you leave the app. I used it this way and have to say I didn't like it.

I went for the pro upgrade which gives you full push notifications as long as the app is in the multitasking bar. It is pretty fluid with the transition from computer to phone.

I have never had a great experience with any gchat app and I have tried Beejive, IM+, IMO, & Meebo to name a few big ones. I love Verbs though, it does its job well, has great push, & above all looks great in app and looks great sitting next to my other apps on my springboard.

They just release an iPad version a few months ago and I have high hopes for this little app down the road. We know they should be putting our 5.99 to good use.

Last edited:

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
For a Dropbox-syncing text editor, I chose Notesy. It syncs very well, and allows you to work offline without losing anything. I especially like that it allows subfolders. Though I don't use it, it incorporates mark down formatting, complete with preview, and allows user-defined formatting (css). You can universally change the displayed font type, color, background, but these settings aren't in the way; if you like the default you'll never see them.

Regards,
Tom

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
I used Notesy for a long time. Very good software, syncs seamlessly with Dropbox. Like a previous poster, I can't comment on any of the 'advanced' features as I never used them. Just basic text notes. It's great for that.

I have since stopped using it as I've moved entirely to Evernote now.

emacna1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
So I just downloaded Notesy ($4.99) and I can't figure out how to edit documents. I have all my dropbox files in the notesy app, but when I open them I'm only given the option to open in dropbox or print.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
ebuddy Pro.

You don't even need it to be in the multi-tasking bar. All you need is keep logged in; there is a setting in the app for duration of login including all the time. Push notifications come anytime through it and i love it.

However, recent updates have broken the app. Luckily i had an old backed up copy on my computer which i copied to the phone and installed. I refuse ot update it unless the bugs are fixed. Would rather stay at 4.x.x instead of the 5.0.2 update.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
second for imo. used meebo before google bought them and shut them down (well, they will be shutting them down on 7/11).

not sure about dropbox text editor, though I use documents2go for my google docs and that has a decent text editor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.