Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamerish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
I've gotten conflicting answers on another forum I asked this on and also within the very small amount of discussion I could find on it from Google. Will I be able to run games from an external USB 3.0 HD while in Boot Camp? I don't use Steam and would prefer not to (I already have a small library of games) but if it's necessary I can matriculate. Currently, my biggest worries are on whether I'll be able to run Skyrim, Dragon Age (Origins and 2), Amalur, Guild Wars (1 and 2), the Mass Effect series, Dungeon Siege III, and the Witcher (1 and 2).

I've heard that many games will only install or operate from the internal drive in order to prevent piracy. If this is true of the games listed above would this really not work with Boot Camp? If not, is there some way around it like a terminal command or something?

Thanks!

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I never heard of games installing to prevent piracy, but some games don't like to be installed on a different drive.

As long as your hard drive is connected, you can install and run on the external. I'm not saying every game you listed will be able to since I haven't play those, but you should be.

You don't even need USB 3.0 to run it. USB 2.0 is fine, just longer loading speed.

gamerish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
Okay, thanks. For those temperamental games you mentioned would I be able to install them to the external HDD and move them over to the internal SSD when I wanted to play them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.