Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:42 AM   #1
jaysen
macrumors 6502

Network Video player app?

Looking for an app that will allow me to access my smb (samba) and NFS shares... via LAN home network? I've got a ton of kids videos that my son likes to watch.

Prefer not to install server side software like plex?
jaysen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:53 AM   #2
puncho
macrumors member

Xbmc after jailbreaking
puncho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
jaysen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by puncho View Post
Xbmc after jailbreaking
Thanks... Totally forgot about xbmc... Sucks it's not optimized for new iPad. Also havin audio issues...
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitus View Post
Yeah i am also using XBMC on my iPad and I must say that I am impressed. Otherwise you can also try with CineXplayer.
CineXplayer only supports Web streaming, not "true" Samba.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysen View Post
Looking for an app that will allow me to access my smb (samba) and NFS shares... via LAN home network? I've got a ton of kids videos that my son likes to watch.

Prefer not to install server side software like plex?
You may want to check out the "Samba" section of my multimedia chart ( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13100693/ht...4-mm-chart.ods ). Of the truly(!) SMB-capable players, I recommend the following because they support HW decoding of MP4 / MOV / M4V files:

XBMC (of course)
eXPlayer HD by Zhigang Chen http://itunes.apple.com/app/explayer...418100406?mt=8

----------

Quote:
Thanks... Totally forgot about xbmc... Sucks it's not optimized for new iPad.
Yup, unfortunately, it's still not Retina-enabled, not even in the latest nightlies - see Memphiz's 4-day-old post at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132356&page=13
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Tymmz
macrumors 65816

i'm not 100% sure what you are after, but I use AirVideo to stream movies of my MBP/external HDDs to my iPhone.

AirVideo
Tymmz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Redjericho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
smb (samba) and NFS shares... via LAN home network?
Man, I gotta read up on my technology-speak.
Redjericho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:12 PM   #7
jaysen
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the other option...

Still trying to figure out why my audio is not working - assuming the container is the issue?

Finishing up my OpenIndiana ZFS box, so this is not a priority at the moment... getting my ZFS to serve my WDTLives (another SMB issue - haha)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
mcdj
macrumors 604

Goodplayer and Buzzplayer both support network playback.
mcdj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Tortri
macrumors 6502a

Goodplayer here
Tortri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Beherith
macrumors newbie

VM Player

Using VM Player - supports a lot of video and audio formats and direct playing (and of course downloading) from network shares.
Moreover they promise smb file uploading and playing music directly from iTunes library in the upcoming 1.7 update.
Beherith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Tussen69
macrumors regular

www.plexapp.com .. Runs on SamsungTV, AppleTV, GoogleTV, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Windows Phone and more ..
Tussen69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beherith View Post
Using VM Player - supports a lot of video and audio formats and direct playing (and of course downloading) from network shares.
Moreover they promise smb file uploading and playing music directly from iTunes library in the upcoming 1.7 update.
1, are you working for Velestar Private Enterprise? You have four posts; every single of them recommends a product of them (VM Player and vSSH). You should at least post a quick remark like "I know I may be biased but..."

2, I do NOT recommend VM Player. Theoretically, it's a nice app but, in practice, both the video decoders and the streaming module have a LOT to be desired. For example, its SMB compatibility is far worse than that of GoodPlayer / XBMC - it didn't work with my password-protected OS X share. (GoodPlayer worked just fine.) Its UPnP support is also pretty bad - it showsjJust a dark screen when streaming (downloading works). After switching to SW decoding, it works. GoodPlayer works just fine in streamed, HW-accelerated mode under exactly the same circumstances.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:15 AM   #13
Joseler68
macrumors newbie

AVS Media Player solves the issue. just download the app for free. You have to change the audio to be sent to AirPlay besides the normal AirPlay icon but it plays mounted disks, DVDs, and vid files just fine. Hopefully Apple fixes the issue but it is at least a workaround.

This is MacBookPro to AppleTV by the way
Joseler68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:59 AM   #14
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseler68 View Post
AVS Media Player solves the issue. just download the app for free. You have to change the audio to be sent to AirPlay besides the normal AirPlay icon but it plays mounted disks, DVDs, and vid files just fine. Hopefully Apple fixes the issue but it is at least a workaround.

This is MacBookPro to AppleTV by the way
This won't really help the OP as it requires a "middleman" (an x86 desktop to do the transcoding).
Old Mar 4, 2013, 03:20 AM   #15
Hillaryer
macrumors newbie

Download VCL player.
Hillaryer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:11 AM   #16
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillaryer View Post
Download VCL player.
Won't work as a SMB client as it does require a server-side, x86-only component. Please read the entire thread.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps