Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dualcyclone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
London, UK
I'm thinking of getting a Tucano Second Skin for my new MBPr that is on its way to me.

I have one of these currently for my 2009 15" MBP, and its nice and snug, it doesn't have an edge to it like most of the new cases do, so I'm hoping it will also be nice and snug for the MBPr.

Give your feedback on the best cases to buy for the MBPr.

Specifically, whether the case is slack or snug, price, and your general rating as a user.

Picture/links would be good too!

Thanks for the reviews in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
I am a fan of the Booq bags/sleeves so I am waiting for what they come out with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: haudvereor

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
I use the same Zeroshock III case I had for my old MBP but it was quite loose even on that one, so I wouldn't recommend it. *bookmarks thread*

Whomperz

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
yep bookmarked!

Every site I go to mainly has the "compatible" macbook pro cases/sleeves/bags

been looking on Etsy but hmmm not my taste..

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I've got a lovely Pipetto leather sleeve but I hate things that don't fit just right. I just know it's gonna be too loose when my rMBP arrives.

Jnava420

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
Apple??

Why can't apple make a case/sleeve/cover hell I don't care just make something apple ill use it. The bumper is great with a front and back protective skins, and the new iPad smart case solves the only problem the smart cover had. Ok sure it sits a lil different and standing up its not as sturdy but I'm confident it won't fall plus I hardly watch stuff on it now that I got this new retina pro. I just feel like Apple would put out a legit contender in to the market plus Ill take a free engraving and the Apple logo still out in view any day!!!

garfey

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Southampton, UK
Haha, they give you a mention on that site now..

Update: 'Curiously, they mention a 13" MBPr... which doesn't exist. It makes me wonder whether this site is credible' When we made the buy now buttons we thought there was/would be an MBP Retina 13 inch - sorry - if in a few weeks there isn't one we'll edit the Buy Now button to take out 13 inch, thank you Apple forum for asking!)​

Garf

Reactions: davidg4781

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I've been researching bags designed with a more feminine style for the last week and I've found a ton of options. I ended up buying 2 hah.

Although I've been using a 15" Rickshaw Bags sleeve for the past year or so for my work laptop, it fits my rMBP perfectly. I wanted something a little more nondescript for airline travel so I bought a Colcasac sleeve. It is pretty awesome and really doesn't look like a laptop cover which is what I wanted. It wraps tightly around the rMBP so that if i even wanted to put it into another sleeve/case, I could.

bounou

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Ordered a suede sleeve from http://www.sfbags.com, they list the shipping as 20$ minimum but charged me 3$, they even sent me a personalized email to let me know they shipped my product.

I have never ordered from them but after hearing nothing but positives from others figured i would give them a shot, so far pretty happy, will see when i get the sleeve :)

I almost ordered a FUG from crumpler, it's quite nice also for a sleeve, i had one for my MBA.

I already have a messenger bag so all i needed was something to stop the laptop from getting scratches when i move it!

samarth1

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
Grayslake, IL
Hard Graft

If any of you guys haven't had a chance to take a look at Hard Graft, I highly suggest their sleeve and folio case they have for the new rMBP 15. They're very classy and high quality, and as such, cost more than your average case. But, as with the rMBP, you do get what you pay for, as this is an extremely well-made case.

This is their sleeve: http://www.hardgraft.com/products/xii-macbook-heritage
This is the folio case: http://www.hardgraft.com/products/allinonefolio-heritage

The sleeve will ship early July it looks like, so if you're waiting on your rMBP, add one more item to your wait list. :)

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I personally like the incase sleeves. They're simple and cheap and does the job! No need to spend $100+ on premium leather and wool, because that's going to help my protect my MacBook how??

I decided to get one yesterday from BB for $39.95, hoping that within the 30 day return/exchange policy incase will come out with a sleeve specific for the rMBP. The one below fits, but it's got a bit of slack. I needed one now, I've been paranoid since last week.

JDFog.jpg

ehh, my thumb looks weird.

garfey

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Southampton, UK
On a related note do we know if the dimensions of the MBPR are the same as the old MBP so that things like keyboard overlays, vinyl skins, trackpad decals etc etc fit?

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
On a related note do we know if the dimensions of the MBPR are the same as the old MBP so that things like keyboard overlays, vinyl skins, trackpad decals etc etc fit?

The keyboard is the same as the previous 15", only difference is that the eject key is now the power button. Aside from that, the dimension are the same. Moshi's website has listed their keyboard overlay as compatible with the rMBP, but have not yet confirmed the track guard or palm guard as being compatible.

thetechteen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Just bought a Rickshaw Create Your Own Sleeve for the MBP - I called and the woman said that they aren't making new bags for the rMBPs, the ones they have now fit perfectly.

I hope she's right lol.

I used the couponcode "damngoodbags" for free ground shipping.

Reactions: negroswamy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.