Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I'm really excited about a new Sim City.

I still play 4 every once in a while and have purchased CitiesXL 2012, but haven't really gotten into it.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Are there any versions of simcity that work on osx lion? Digital distribution preferred.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
There's an intel patch available for Simcity 4 deluxe, but it's been in a perpetual beta state and people have had various levels of success with it in Lion.

Every other Maxis title has made it to the Mac, so I have high hopes for this. It'll be cider, though.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I just hope the multiplayer doesn't mean an MMO that we have to always be connected to the internet with no offline single player option. If so I'll just stick with older versions of Sim City, 2000 being the best.

Personally my favorite way to play Sim City is with the add funds code to just build it up quickly then ravage it with natural disasters. Any game that requires MMO style ranking and gameplay don't allow cheating. Sure to purists this is the way to play. There are others who think cheat codes are the funnest way to play.

I play games without codes just to push through and beat it. Then it is also much funner to go back through with codes to womp through everything.

The other problem with games that always require a connection is what happens to the players when the servers are shut down? They are SOL. I can still pick up an Atari game if I wish and play it, which I do along with NES. Games that require a connection won't work 30 years down the road.

My other concern is that they completely botch it and make it too simple. As they did with the Sims 3.

Here's hoping they also fix the number of hospitals, police and fire stations needed. It's ridiculous when you have a population of 100,000 and need twenty or more hospitals, fire departments and police stations. In a real city that size you'd have one hospital, three or four fire departments and one police station. Then there is also the issues of bus stops. They shouldn't take up any land. Bus stops are just signs and a bench on the sidewalk not buildings taking up the space of a house.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I hope it nicely fits between the difficulty of Sim City 4 and Cities XL and isn't another dumbing down of the franchise like Societies was. Looking forward to this, bit of a surprise really, thought they'd abandoned SC in favour of The Sims?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
A Mac native version will probably have to wait for Aspyr to do one of their crappy ports.

EA doesn't have Aspyr do native ports anymore. They use Cider themselves, which is even worse.

I just hope the multiplayer doesn't mean an MMO that we have to always be connected to the internet with no offline single player option. If so I'll just stick with older versions of Sim City, 2000 being the best.

Personally my favorite way to play Sim City is with the add funds code to just build it up quickly then ravage it with natural disasters. Any game that requires MMO style ranking and gameplay don't allow cheating. Sure to purists this is the way to play. There are others who think cheat codes are the funnest way to play.

It does require an online connection, but it looks like it is similar to Spore in the way it grabs content from other players. So, there should still be cheat codes, though not for the 16-player multiplayer and co-op.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
A NEW SIMCITY

AND ITS MADE BY MAXIS?!

I am litterally crying tears of joy. I still play SimCity 4 to this day because it is one of the most fun games. SimCity Socieities was lame (since it wasn't Maxis made) and Cities XL just didn't feel the same. I can not WAIT for this game. There better be a Mac version (knowing Maxis, how could there not be?).

I'm more excited though to see Maxis back in action, with nearly all of their projects (The Sims, SimCity, Spore) get put in other people's hands, it's amazing to finally have Maxis back, and we all know that since this is a Maxis game, it won't disappoint at all.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

Seriously. I don't think they'd go so far as to make it "multiplayer only", but I do anticipate having to launch the game through <barf> Origin, which essentially means you need an internet connection.

kaydot

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Seriously. I don't think they'd go so far as to make it "multiplayer only", but I do anticipate having to launch the game through <barf> Origin, which essentially means you need an internet connection.

Hi, I'm new to PC gaming. I bought SimCity 4 two weeks ago, and it's great. It is a little difficult because I have a high residential demand but low commercial and industrial demand, but then they move in and they complain they have no jobs! Too funny.

Anyways, what is Origin? I assume it is like Steam (which I also don't have). How do these systems work? I assume they don't work well and everyone complains because of this. Do they slow down your machine and boot at startup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.