Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I've been using my laptop for four years now, and I think it's about time that I will want to upgrade to a newer laptop soon. I'm really tempted to buy MBP because of its "cool" factor, but on the other hand, I am working as an accountant and most of the softwares would probably only run on Windows. It may also be easier because at work I am already used to doing work using PC. So.. is it still a good idea to get a Macbook Pro even when I know I will probably be using Windows most of the time anyway?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've been using my laptop for four years now, and I think it's about time that I will want to upgrade to a newer laptop soon. I'm really tempted to buy MBP because of its "cool" factor, but on the other hand, I am working as an accountant and most of the softwares would probably only run on Windows. It may also be easier because at work I am already used to doing work using PC. So.. is it still a good idea to get a Macbook Pro even when I know I will probably be using Windows most of the time anyway?
If you're primarily using Windows, you can buy a nice notebook in another brand for less money. If you're one who's motivated by what others think of your computer and don't mind paying extra, get the MBP.

However, I encourage you to first identify what software you need to run and see if there are Mac equivalents that meet your needs. Also, if you choose to get a Mac and run Windows on it, I encourage you to spend some time checking out Mac OS X. You may find that you greatly prefer it to Windows.

Wonderhaven

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
TN
If money wasn't an issue I probably would. The build quality of Apple laptops is top notch when compared to most windows laptops. Additionally, the customer service provided by Apple when it comes to hardware is priceless. But again, there are a lot cheaper options out there if you aren't going to be using the Mac OS.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
I think the main problems you would encounter with running exclusively windows is power management (battery life may not be not as good as comparable windows notebooks) and fan control (os x has far more aggressive throttling so they may run a bit louder under windows). However, I haven't tried Boot Camp in the last couple of years so I am not sure if these are still real issues.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
I run bootcamp on my mbp. It's the best machine you can get to run Windows.
Know the limitations on the retina mbp though. Resolution issue.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
I wouldn't just because every windows battery test I have ever seen on a Mac had shown significant battery drop.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
It is definitely worth it. Since macbooks are really build well and have some fantastic features. I bought the MBP not because of OS X or Windows but because of the hardware itself.

That being said though. Thinkpads are equally as worth it as macbooks especially if you want to use windows only. I actually think that for 80% of the time a Thinkpad offers much better value than a Macbook for most people. I recommend them to my friends but they all go for Macbooks anyway. I guess people just go for looks.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If money wasn't an issue I probably would. The build quality of Apple laptops is top notch when compared to most windows laptops. Additionally, the customer service provided by Apple when it comes to hardware is priceless. But again, there are a lot cheaper options out there if you aren't going to be using the Mac OS.

That's not necessarily true. It depends on use. Apple's laptops do get quite hot when pushed hard. I still own them, but it annoys me. As for bootcamp, you're more likely to come across things that just aren't supported or driver issues if you're primarily using bootcamp. It's not really the best supported side of a Mac as it's not their focus.

There are much cheaper solutions for you on the Windows side
And there are some pretty nice Ultrabooks as well

I suggest reading reviews. You can always find complaints with literally any computer line. What matters is the nature of the common complaints and how quickly they're resolved.

What about driver problems?

They do come up. The keyboards are also slightly different. I have no idea what will make it to Windows 8 drivers.

I wouldn't just because every windows battery test I have ever seen on a Mac had shown significant battery drop.

Again they don't spend as much time on bootcamp optimization. This doesn't really surprise me as they want you to run OSX.

Know the limitations on the retina mbp though. Resolution issue.

That may be your opinion, but I'd call it false information. If I wasn't running primarily OSX, I wouldn't be running a Mac. They're just not going to test and certify every last thing when it's primarily aimed at running OSX. It's there mostly for Windows switchers and people who want to play games unavailable under OSX. It works fine for those purposes. I just wouldn't suggest it to someone who wishes to run only Windows. If I ever did switch, I'd probably dual boot it as a hackintosh, but just for fun. I wouldn't do that with a work computer. Hackintoshes are similar to bootcamp specifically in the sense that most things work, but if you use one long enough you'll find something broken.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Again they don't spend as much time on bootcamp optimization. This doesn't really surprise me as they want you to run OSX.
Agreed. I love the build quality of the MBP but don't like the path OSX is taking. I'd use mine for a dedicated Windows machine but you're at the mercy of Apple for the drivers. The glorious trackpad sucks in bootcamp (but ironically runs beautifully under parallels).

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
is it still a good idea to get a Macbook Pro even when I know I will probably be using Windows most of the time anyway?
The suggestion from me again is YES. Because the MBP will run Windows well, at the same time you can enjoy the usage of MacOS whenever you want to. No other system allows you to do so (so easily). MacOS is very easy, and intuitive to use.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
As others have said, if you are dead set on Windows, get a different computer. If you are willing to try out OS X, get the MBP. At least use it for a week and try out all the shortcuts/multitouch gestures if you do try out OS X.

riptideMBP

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2011
I havent had a single issue running windows via bootcamp (engineering software and video games) other than noticeably shorter battery life.

EDIT: the trackpad isnt quite as awesome in bootcamp

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I think it's a gigantic waste of money, personally. Plenty of cheaper Windows computers out there that will suit your needs. But Windows does work great on Macs, but you'll have to maneuver around OS X anyway to get it set up or to manage your Windows partition. Might as well give OS X a try while you're at it.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Given the OP is an accountant, I am surprised that no one has mentioned virtualisation. Rather than use bootcamp he is better off getting hold of something like Parallels and running a virtual copy of Windows. I am an accountant and this is exactly what I do. ERP systems and other Windows business apps can run side by side with your Mac Apps so you can get the best of both worlds.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's your money . Yes it looks cool so if you like it go for it.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
When I first purchased my Macbook Pro early 2011 (15" $2200 model) I did it mostly for the specs because they were awesome and because I tried out an old 2007 Macbook (white) and felt that the OS was pretty decent. Once I got it my time using windows was very limited.

Now a days I only use Windows to either play games or use an old program that was is not supported by OSX (rare).

If you purchase a Macbook Pro, I'm just going to warn you that you will stop using Windows 7. So don't say that you will ONLY use Windows. There is a reason why OSX has been so successful.

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009

Delusional.

It depends what you need windows for? gaming? high end apps? portability? or just basic generic pc stuff? I personally buy macs for the OS not for the design because over the past year we have seen some nice if not better designed ultrabooks on the market that I would buy if I wanted a pure windows experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.