Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PussycatTrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Hi....

Apologies if this is a duplicate of a previous post but I'm new to the site.

I was just wondering if anyone can help, my 6th Gen iPod Classic recently went for a swim whilst at Download Festival and for the last two weeks has not been switching on however I have tried charging it to day on the off chance some miracle might happen....and have found that whilst plugged in it will actually switch on and work perfectly, however as soon as the charger is disconnected it goes dead again....just wondering if anyone thinks this is something that could be repaired or should I just give up and buy a new one?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
sounds like there might be hope, I assume you have given it a really good dry out? It sounds as if the battery has broken, or just disconnected. I might try for a repair.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but it sounds like it isn't able to hold a charge. I had a couple of water damaged iPods. What is best is to leaver them submerged in a big bowl of dry rice. This tends to seep up the water and dry the iPod. In those two occasions I was successful but I had to leave them in the rice for approximately 3 days. Not sure if it will help, but its worth giving a go especially since it could save you having to splash out on a new one... :)

PussycatTrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks!

Yeah, it's been in the airing cupboard for the last two weeks so I can't see how it can still be wet, but I might give the rice thing a try too.

If I try to get it repaired is there anywhere reliable you could recommend I send it to, I dont think there are any repair places near me to take it into.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Thanks!

Yeah, it's been in the airing cupboard for the last two weeks so I can't see how it can still be wet, but I might give the rice thing a try too.

If I try to get it repaired is there anywhere reliable you could recommend I send it to, I dont think there are any repair places near me to take it into.

Well it's a bit hard since we don't know where you live. If you tell us the states or UK, then maybe we could help... lol

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
If you can get to an Apple Store, make a genius appointment and take it in. Be honest about what happened and ask if it can be repaired. If you get lucky they'll let you buy a new classic for considerable discount. In our case it was for the cost of ya battery replacement.

PussycatTrash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks! I assume it would have to be an Apple store and not an independent Apple reseller like KRCS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.