Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1
ludayoda
macrumors newbie

Lion won't index external hard drive.

New mac user here. Running latest Lion (10.7.4) on a Macbook pro. I have Paragon NTFS installed, and reading/writing to NTFS volumes has worked fine. However, I am having an issue with spotlight on my external hard drive (500 gb, NTFS formatted). It simply does not work. Searching my internal main hd works fine.

I have tried several suggested solutions to this problem already. This includes adding and removing the hard drive from the privacy tab of spotlight. I also tried several terminal commands that I found online such as "sudo mdutil -E" and "sudo mdutil -i on". These all indicate that indexing on my external drive is in fact on. Spotlight does not seem to be indexing the drive. HOWEVER it does return results for folders that I have opened. Seems kind of strange. Doesn't help me much, as I am not about to open 1000's of folders and files just so they can be found through spotlight.

Any suggestions to fix this?
ludayoda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Have you verified your permissions on that drive?

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
Quote:
Note: You can only add folders or items to the Privacy tab that you have ownership permissions for. For more information about ownership and permissions, see Troubleshooting permissions issues in Mac OS X.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Atius
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludayoda View Post
New mac user here. Running latest Lion (10.7.4) on a Macbook pro. I have Paragon NTFS installed, and reading/writing to NTFS volumes has worked fine. However, I am having an issue with spotlight on my external hard drive (500 gb, NTFS formatted). It simply does not work. Searching my internal main hd works fine.

I have tried several suggested solutions to this problem already. This includes adding and removing the hard drive from the privacy tab of spotlight. I also tried several terminal commands that I found online such as "sudo mdutil -E" and "sudo mdutil -i on". These all indicate that indexing on my external drive is in fact on. Spotlight does not seem to be indexing the drive. HOWEVER it does return results for folders that I have opened. Seems kind of strange. Doesn't help me much, as I am not about to open 1000's of folders and files just so they can be found through spotlight.

Any suggestions to fix this?

You can not index a NTFS drive, see this thread for more information:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=679451
Atius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atius View Post
I completely skimmed over that the drive was NTFS, despite how obvious it was. Thanks for catching that!
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
ludayoda
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Haha okay that settles it then. Won't waste any more time with this. Guess I will just have to use a third party search tool. Any suggestions for a good one? Thanks for the help!
ludayoda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 04:15 AM   #6
lorcar
macrumors member

Quote:
this saved my day, so at least now i dont even try
What if I install Paragon or Tuxera? does it change?
lorcar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help