Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
I emailed Anand asking about the review and he actually responded to me! What a stand-up guy. He included this teaser of the upcoming review, which unfortunately cuts off just when things start to get interesting. I'm really curious about what he has to say about all the UI lag issues I've been reading about.

(click for full - kinda blurry due to retina)

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
I await the review with bated breath.

I would love to know the technical details of what Apple is doing with the resolution scaling, etc.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
:eek::eek::eek: nice to see its chugging along. You have no idea how many times I refresh the Mac tag in AnandTech and still see the Windows 8 as the latest article. But it's definitely worth the wait as they are so detailed. I hope Anand includes his observations on the (temporary) lag issues as well as the resolution and scaling comparisons, pros and cons that are pleaguing the forums these days. Can't frreakin wait!

CUsurfer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
So I was seriously just about to click the Buy button. Guess I can wait a few more days. They aren't shipping for a few weeks anyway. I'm such a fickle consumer when it comes to computers...sigh. I hope Anand has good news.

parlour

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Dat word count. Two thirds of the words in my Bachelor’s thesis.

Also, pretty awesome to see one of the questions I had answered just like that. (How does scaling actually work exactly?) No other review I read answered that, they just got hand-wavey at that point.

LeGacY X

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
VA, USA
His reviews are truly amazing. The technical knowledge he has, combined with a smooth and readable writing style make for a great read. I can't want until he releases this. :)

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
So I was seriously just about to click the Buy button. Guess I can wait a few more days. They aren't shipping for a few weeks anyway.

Do what I did: Order now. If the review is one in which it makes you want it even more, it's already in the queue for you. If the review makes you want to stick with your current laptop (or buy something different), cancel the order.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Do what I did: Order now. If the review is one in which it makes you want it even more, it's already in the queue for you. If the review makes you want to stick with your current laptop (or buy something different), cancel the order.
Good plan

Moriarty

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
So I was seriously just about to click the Buy button. Guess I can wait a few more days. They aren't shipping for a few weeks anyway. I'm such a fickle consumer when it comes to computers...sigh. I hope Anand has good news.

I suggest you buy now... you've got 3-4 weeks to decide if you want to cancel before the computer ships. That way you'll get it a week or two sooner should you actually want to buy one. I was on the fence, but then shipping times hit 2-3 weeks and I caved in, haha. I suspect people are still buying the machines faster then Apple can make them. Perhaps I'm just impatient, but it certainly can't do any harm to order now and cancel in 2 weeks if you change your mind.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
24 hours later and still now review. :(

Curiosity level reaching critical mass... I don't really trust any other reviewers.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
His section about the poor scrolling on the rMBP has convinced me to wait it out for ML before making the rmbp plunge. If ML doesn't really fix the scrolling issue, it will take haswell rmbp before the UI is as smooth as the cmbp.

RealEyes

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
His section about the poor scrolling on the rMBP has convinced me to wait it out for ML before making the rmbp plunge. If ML doesn't really fix the scrolling issue, it will take haswell rmbp before the UI is as smooth as the cmbp.

Great review and I agree. I hope this stuff gets fixed soon as it shouldn't even be an issue!

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA

Unlike in the review, I don't have a Narcissusbook... I mean Facebook account,
but the vast majority of sites I visit that combine a lot of images with text do not have a lag issue.

Websites, such as:

And many others all scroll smoothly.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
but the vast majority of sites I visit that combine a lot of images with text do not have a lag issue.

Websites, such as:

My worry is for how long? If the current GPU is being pushed to the limit with rMBP, then as websites become more retina aware, they'll increase in complexity making it get worse. Even with ML hardware accelerated scrolling, Anand was only getting 20-30 fps vs the cmbp hires getting a solid 60 fps. Many of us here got burned with the underpowered gpu of the 1st gen MBA.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

Websites, such as:

the fact that you actually have to list websites that 'scroll smoothly' is already a huge backwards step and is definitely not a convincing way to tell someone else the RMBP is ready for today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.