Networking: How to use new powerbook at work - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
ghateley
macrumors newbie

Question Networking: How to use new powerbook at work

Hey,

I just purchased a new 12in. Powerbook. It's amazing. I'd like to incorporate it into work life and use it as a secondary machine on my desk. The trouble is, there's only one network cable in my office. It runs out of the wall, into my desktop (a PC). I've tried unplugging my PC and hooking it to the mac and it works fine.

Ideally, I'd like to have a set-up that allows me to use both with the internet at the same time. Could I use network switch or hub to accomplish this? Would this use 2 IP addresses or 1?

If you guys have any ideas, let me know.

Thanks,

Geoff
ghateley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:20 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

A router would require 1 IP. A switch or hub would require 2 IPs. I'd check with your work before you do this though.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:38 PM   #3
ghateley
macrumors newbie

I'd like to be as discreet as possible. Would a router be detectable to my IT department? It's monitored corporately (in a different city), so I don't imagine they pay too much attention.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:44 PM   #4
EvilDoc
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to EvilDoc Send a message via Yahoo to EvilDoc
i really wouldnt go around hook things up to your network at work with out the permission of your IT department. they generally dont like that.. and depending on where you work it could be considered a security risk for you to do so..
EvilDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:48 PM   #5
grapes911

It's very hard to tell if there is a router on a network. It's not impossible though. I doubt many companies monitor this. But remember, it is their network and bandwidth. They may do with it what they see fit. They may not allow user installed routers on their premises. An extremely harsh company could put your job in jeopardy over something like this. I know a company that doesn't even let you bring a personal computer into work with you. Personally, I'd ask the company if I was allowed.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:50 PM   #6
ghateley
macrumors newbie

ya, I work for the provincial government in Canada. I know it probably wouldn't be allowed...but I think I'm going to try anways.

Would there be a way to hook up my Powerbook to my PC to share the internet or vice versa? Could I do this via USB. Unfortunately, he PC doesn't have wireless.

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 01:58 PM   #7
grapes911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghateley
Would there be a way to hook up my Powerbook to my PC to share the internet or vice versa?
Only if the PC has two network cards. Still probably not allowed though.

Quote:
ya, I work for the provincial government in Canada. I know it probably wouldn't be allowed...but I think I'm going to try anways.
Hope you resume is up-to-date. You may be looking for another job.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 02:19 PM   #8
ghateley
macrumors newbie

Ok, ok. Consider this thread closed. You've scared me straight.

I guess I'll just live with using my laptop as an off-line work/play tool while in my office. Damn you all and your responsibility.

Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. I'm new to macs and am really impressed with the quality of the products and with the people who use them.

Cheers,

Geoff

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs