Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jun 22, 2012, 01:45 AM   #1
AKfreeRider
macrumors newbie

Student AppleCare after purchase from best buy?

Hi everyone,

Was curious if I could purchase STUDENT applecare for a RMBP if I get the computer from a best buy. The only reason I ask is because if I go to the apple online store and attempt to buy applecare, there is no way to activate the student pricing so the total comes to $339 or something. But if you order a RMBP online through the education store, you can select applecare for $239.

My concern is that if I snag a RMBP from best buy (apple stores in seattle aren't getting very many), I will end up spending extra 100 on applecare. Could I buy from bestbuy and then walk it over to the apple store and get the $239 applecare? And no, I do not want the best buy insurance.

Thanks for any advice.
AKfreeRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:09 AM   #2
mohsy90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKfreeRider View Post
Hi everyone,

Was curious if I could purchase STUDENT applecare for a RMBP if I get the computer from a best buy. The only reason I ask is because if I go to the apple online store and attempt to buy applecare, there is no way to activate the student pricing so the total comes to $339 or something. But if you order a RMBP online through the education store, you can select applecare for $239.

My concern is that if I snag a RMBP from best buy (apple stores in seattle aren't getting very many), I will end up spending extra 100 on applecare. Could I buy from bestbuy and then walk it over to the apple store and get the $239 applecare? And no, I do not want the best buy insurance.

Thanks for any advice.
I know the Apple store gives you the option to purchase it at the student discount rate within that first year, all you have to do is bring in the purchase receipt with you when coming to buy the AppleCare. But, I'm not sure if this applies to purchases made at their other retailers like Best Buy. I would give an Apple Store a call and see, I'm fairly sure they can price adjust once they see that you are a student from the price match given on the Best Buy receipt.
mohsy90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:42 AM   #3
Rizzm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohsy90 View Post
I know the Apple store gives you the option to purchase it at the student discount rate within that first year, all you have to do is bring in the purchase receipt with you when coming to buy the AppleCare. But, I'm not sure if this applies to purchases made at their other retailers like Best Buy. I would give an Apple Store a call and see, I'm fairly sure they can price adjust once they see that you are a student from the price match given on the Best Buy receipt.
You should be able to. If not, you can get it from B&H for $244.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ma
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:46 AM   #4
ixodes
macrumors 601

Yes it's no problem. I always buy AppleCare for each new Mac I buy. It's a very smart purchase. Nothing beats Apple care.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Ccrew
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Could I buy from bestbuy and then walk it over to the apple store and get the $239 applecare? And no, I do not want the best buy insurance.
Yes you can, or you can do it online. In person just bring your student ID
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 07:44 AM   #6
satchow
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for any advice.
You can buy AppleCare from where ever you want regardless of where you bought the MacBook itself. What I suggest you do is just get the education discount online and buy it from apple.com and have them ship it to you. Mine came overnight, free.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7
AKfreeRider
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot everyone. And you were right, you CAN buy applecare from the mac online store with the education discount. Pretty bad that I couldn't navigate an apple website well enough to find that. Thanks again guys. This definitely widens my search for a RMBP in the seattle area.
AKfreeRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro