Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

houkouonchi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I know they use the GPT partition table but I was curious how it does the mount process.

The main thing I am asking about is. If I get a new macbook and do a machine -> machine clone over the network (dd + netcat over the network) will the other machine boot? Normally this would be a yes but if they are using GUID's then those will actually change even when block level mirroring the drive to a new machine.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I know they use the GPT partition table but I was curious how it does the mount process.

The main thing I am asking about is. If I get a new macbook and do a machine -> machine clone over the network (dd + netcat over the network) will the other machine boot? Normally this would be a yes but if they are using GUID's then those will actually change even when block level mirroring the drive to a new machine.
You're only guaranteed to boot via a network clone, regardless of GUID issues, in the following circumstances, for Macs:
  • Both Macs have the same build of (Mac) OS X on them
  • Both OS X versions are newer than the ones each Mac came with
  • Both Macs are CPU compatible (Intel vs PPC) and thus boot disk compatible (GPT vs APM)
If all 3 conditions are satisfied, you're highly likely to have success. An example situation which all 3 conditions are satisfied would be something like this:
  • Source Mac came with Leopard
  • Target Mac came with Snow Leopard
  • Both Macs are Intel
  • Both Macs are currently running Lion 10.7.4

houkouonchi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I guess I don't quite get why the OS version really matters (totally get the hardware though) cause you are writing the new OS on the clone.

Anyway these will be identical macbooks that I will be doing just from a linux boot disk + dd (so the OS won't be running at the time).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I guess I don't quite get why the OS version really matters (totally get the hardware though) cause you are writing the new OS on the clone.

Anyway these will be identical macbooks that I will be doing just from a linux boot disk + dd (so the OS won't be running at the time).
The OS version only makes a difference when one of the Macs comes with a custom build.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.