Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
While waiting on my RMBP to arrive I need to decide which of these to use to run Windows. I already own VMWare Fusion, but I am hearing that it's not supporting the Retina display very well? I will be running Windows quite a bit and need something that will run well under Mac OS X and the new display.

Any recommendations? :confused:

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
While waiting on my RMBP to arrive I need to decide which of these to use to run Windows. I already own VMWare Fusion, but I am hearing that it's not supporting the Retina display very well? I will be running Windows quite a bit and need something that will run well under Mac OS X and the new display.

Well, I'm sure VMware Fusion will be updated. I have Parallels on my iMac and it is a very solid program, I just bought my RMBP but I don't have it on here so I can't say if it natively supports RMBP already.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
stick with fusion. it does things properly.

maybe try virtualbox if you want to give something different a go. parallels seems to try and get things running "fast" with less priority on them being "stable" and "correctly implemented".

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I used to be only a Fusion user... til VMWare Fusion 4 finally came out.. and ... blah... Parallels 7 is better so I switched. Not having any issues with Parallels 7 on my rMBP.

You can do a free trial of ether or both of them and just don't activate Windows in the trial... play around with them and use what is best for you.

darthmental

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Oh Canada!
I was about to ask the same question so any more insight would be appreciated.

Most reviews that I read online by so called experts say that Parallels is indeed better. I'm wondering what the general user base says about that.

Thanks in advance

Iansjones

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
I used to use fusion but I prefer parallels. It works properly on the mac.
You can use full screen.

phantasmagoria

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2006
UK
I used to be only a Fusion user... til VMWare Fusion 4 finally came out.. and ... blah... Parallels 7 is better so I switched. Not having any issues with Parallels 7 on my rMBP.

Same here. I used Fusion until v4 then switched to Parallels 7. I've found it faster and, surprisingly, more reliable than Fusion. Works great on my rMBP too.

mattonthemoon

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
Toronto, ON
wow that's a great deal....and that is for the full version of parallels? Seems like a no brainer.

Thanks for the link

Yep it's the full version.

Bare in mind, Parallels will *probably* release version 8 shortly after Mountain Lion and boast "Optimized for 10.8", but there is an upgrade price option if you do decide to upgrade in the future, and you also don't have to upgrade :)

darthmental

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Oh Canada!
Yep it's the full version.

Bare in mind, Parallels will *probably* release version 8 shortly after Mountain Lion and boast "Optimized for 10.8", but there is an upgrade price option if you do decide to upgrade in the future, and you also don't have to upgrade :)

Thanks for the info....just bought it, since there are several programs I would use for sure from the bundle. If I "have" to update it later, it will still be a decent deal.

Thanks again

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
BTW, in case anyone is wondering, under Parallels my MBPR (2.3) has the following Windows Experience Index scores:

Processor: 7.6
Memory 5.5
Graphics 6.0
Gaming Graphics 6.0
Primary Hard Disk 7.9

This is for Windows 7, 32-bit, with 3 GB of memory allotted.

In practical terms, it will nicely play 1080p MKV files in media player classic located on a networked external drive

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Installed Para 7 yesterday works great.

----------

Installed Para 7 yesterday works great prefer it over bootcamp.

d00d

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Massachusetts
Parallels is great, if you enjoy them releasing a new update every 6 months.

I've used both and while benchmarks may prove Parallels superior during portions of VMware's release cycle, VMware is a more polished product has caused me nearly no headaches while Parallels often does.

kamran9558

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
slightly off topic but I have a question for you guys, Can you play full screen games properly using VMware and parallels just like u can play with windows using botcamp

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Anyone able to comment on how well the scaled modes (1920x1200 and 1680x1050) look when running Windows 7 in Parallels (or VMWare)?

dreamtenstudios

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
I had VMWare 3 and I wasn't thrilled with it. It seemed to frequently lock up my machine or slow it to a crawl. I realize that v4 is out so that may have improved things, but I switched over to Parallels and haven't looked back. Works perfectly for me, and I got mine for direct cheap using the Mupromo.

defsquad

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
birmingham, alabama
Parallels is great, if you enjoy them releasing a new update every 6 months.

I've used both and while benchmarks may prove Parallels superior during portions of VMware's release cycle, VMware is a more polished product has caused me nearly no headaches while Parallels often does.

out of curiosity, d00d, what headaches has parallels 7 caused you? my biggest issues with parallels 7 has been my keyboard/input abilities between osx and windows will stop working on one or the other OS and i'll have to end up suspending/starting parallels again.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana

I use/own both VMWare and Parallels and I have found Parallels to be exceptional. I'm currently running the beta of the next version of VMWare and the current version of Parallels. I find that Parallels is much faster than VMware on both the current version as well as the beta.

I use VM's for the following:

Windows 2008 R2 Server
MS SQL Server
MySQL
IIS
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
Windows 8 Preview
Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, and 2012 (whatever the current RC is)

I also tend to use multiple VMs at the same time. If you look at my system specs below, I have had the best performance with Parallels.

People have stated that VMWare is slower but more stable but Parallels has been just as stable as VMWare. I also find that Parallels puts out new versions much faster. They were first to support the MBPr.

While working on an OpenGL application, VMWare just could not display it correctly but Parallels could. The application work great on a 'real' Windows machine, Parallels, but VMWare had trouble. In fairness, this was with VMWare 3.x so I did not try it under 4.x.

YMMV. However, having an SSD and 16 Gb of RAM is a must for high-end VM work in my experience. The SSD really offsets any disk thrashing caused by the VMs under OS X. When I had the stock HD, the system could really bog down during dish thrashing with multiple VMs. Under the SSD, you don't even notice it.

Did you know you can buy Parallels for $29 if you own VMware? They have a kind of hidden page here:

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/vmwareoffer/form/

For real world use, I would own both and that way you are covered no matter what.

Good Luck!
-P

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I have been using parallels 7 with windows 7 home 64bit. Awesome experience. Also been playing a lot of a old game on it, RTCW. I was devastated when the Mac version was axed, this fills the void perfectly. Amazing resolution and plays w/o a hitch even while playing online.

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Bought Parallels 7 several months ago for only $29. It works great on my Mac Mini and the new rMBP. I just use it for some Windows only web sites and some light weight apps. With Windows 7 32-bit, Parallels uses very little CPU in idle and reasonable under light load.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Interesting to hear this. I am currently test-driving VMWare, which is working perfectly. Mainly because it was $49. It gives me a windows index of 5.9 on a 2.6/16/768 running in a window, when it's given 4 processor cores and 3Gb RAM. It's processor and memory that's the lowest. Everything works under W7 and XP, and I particularly have some weird old XP applications I need to run. I hardly ever use W7. I did try running Steam, but it was just not quick enough to run 3d games properly.

Do you think it'd be worthwhile trying Parallels? Is there an easy way to transfer virtual machines from one to the other, or will I need to reinstall everything? Can I run both simultaneously?

I don't mind buying parallels if it's really significantly quicker -- how did you get the 7+ rating and will it really run 3d games within W7 in OSX properly? Or am I better off running Bootcamp for that? I probably have another three weeks to decide before the vmware trial ends. And, of course, by then we'll probably be running ML and it won't be long before we're running W8 on that...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Do a free trial of both and see which one you prefer. Personally I like Fusion more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.