Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ordo1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey guys, long time lurker, sometimes poster (long time since)... so as you can see from my signature I have a mid 2009 MBP, and I noticed the battery life not being as good as it once was, although I hardly over the last 3 years have used the battery a ton. So here is what Coconut battery is saying...

Design capacity: 5450
Current capacity: 4274
---78%

Max charge: 4274
Current charge: 4240

Obviously I'm running on the power cord right now. So I know battery life depletes over the years, but as I said I barely have used the battery a ton. A look through "about this mac" reveals this...

Cycle count: 163
Condition: Check Battery

So is my battery failing? I thought it wouldn't deplete so much (to below 80%) until after about 300 cycles or so. This is my first Mac. I occasionally over the years would unplug it and every couple months did the recalibration procedure. Is the battery faulty perhaps? I am still covered by AppleCare, should I make a phone call? Thing is... I am not near an Apple store at the moment because I am studying at home for the bar exam. I certainly can't afford to go without my computer until after that exam in a month. Do you think it should be ok for another month? What about my warranty running out in a few weeks? Will a call to Apple just to get the claim in get a potentially covered visit with a genius for a possible warranty claim? Or am I totally for some reason out of luck on this battery? I don't mind buying a new one if I have to... I just don't want to damage my computer if the battery is going bad...

Also, more unimportantly but still curious, especially if any of you are using my year's model... if I upped RAM to 8 and got an SSD would that breath new life into my Mac? I luckily have a $1450 Apple gift card and am thinking about saving up more for a 15" MBP H-R/A-G model, but if I can get some more life out of this baby I'd prefer doing that. Anyone a lawyer? Curious what model of Mac any of you guys/gals out there might be using? Not sure if anti-glare is a factor or not. I can't imagine I would have much actual use for a retina screen since I'm not an art guy or a web/cpu dev. Thoughts on a proper model for a professional of my sort anyone?

Thanks for any help you guys, I love my Mac and can't believe how well it's worked for the past 3 years. It may be a lowly C2D, but it does everything I need perfectly. I don't game (have XBOX) or run hardcore programs like Photoshop, etc. like a lot of you guys out there. Thanks again, feedback and advice will for sure be appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So do you think it's likely my warranty will cover this and I can get a replacement battery?
So you're saying it's 3 days later and you still haven't made a phone call to Apple? You could have had all your questions answered and the situation resolved by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.