Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KellyC

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I bought a used mid-2011 MBA from a private party.

The previous owner 'wiped' the machine. When I got the MBA I created my own user ID, and have bought apps from the Apple appstore without any trouble. I've also downloaded updates for Lion without any trouble as they've arrived.

However, the machine doesn't have iPhoto. I went to the app store to download it and I get prompted with something along the lines that says "This app. is already tied to another user account."

What do I do?

My theory is that back office-wise my apps. are licensed to my Apple account. But, the copy of OS Lion is still technically licensed to the previous owner. This is pure theory. However, if that's the case, how have I been able to continue to download OS updates?

I was thinking that maybe when I opt-into the Mountain Lion release, that will install a clean version of the OS and I will be legit. Or, will I even be able to?

Any suggestions on how I get iPhoto? Do I wait for Mountain Lion and see if that gives my machine a fresh start? Or do I technically even have the license for OS Lion?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
However, the machine doesn't have iPhoto. I went to the app store to download it and I get prompted with something along the lines that says "This app. is already tied to another user account."

What do I do?

Contact Apple. The iPhoto program is tied to the original purchasers account not yours. Only Apple can reset the purchase.

My theory is that back office-wise my apps. are licensed to my Apple account. But, the copy of OS Lion is still technically licensed to the previous owner. This is pure theory. However, if that's the case, how have I been able to continue to download OS updates?

OS updates in Lion is handled internally through the OS in Software Update. This is entirely independent of the App Store (where purchase history is stored). Your theory is correct. The copy of Lion (as it was purchased) along with everything that comes with it (like iLife) is tied to the original purchaser’s ID.

I was thinking that maybe when I opt-into the Mountain Lion release, that will install a clean version of the OS and I will be legit. Or, will I even be able to?

That will cover the OS, yes. But not any of the iLife Apps.

Any suggestions on how I get iPhoto? Do I wait for Mountain Lion and see if that gives my machine a fresh start? Or do I technically even have the license for OS Lion?
Downloading Mountain Lion will not grant you any access to the iLife Apps - they are a separate suite of programs the are not bundled with the OS. The only way to get iPhoto (and the rest of iLife) is to contact Apple and see if they can re-authorize the Apps. iPhoto is completely separate from the OS. If Apple will not authorize you to re-download it (along with Lion), you will have to re-purchase them.

Unfortunately you are the victim of the App store where things are tied to an AppleID not the computer. Reselling the computer doesn’t necessarily transfer the software on it.

KellyC

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2012
@pdjudd
Thanks for the reply. That was very helpful. The frustrating part is that I am fine with paying for any of the software. I'll pay for iphoto or even a new install of Lion. I just can't do it through the App store as it won't even let me buy the software. It just says it's tied to another ID.

One more question. Regarding contacting Apple. What do you think is the best channel to contact them through? Should I take the machine into an Apple Store and set up an appointment with the Genius Bar or what are the options?

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.