Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi, I am thinking about rebuilding my apple world:D and I need few answers for my questions, so - now I do own iMac (2011 model) but I will probably switch back to notebook - macbook air 2012 with apple cinema display, here are my questions:

1. MB air 2012 - is it strong enough to replace my iMac? I will not play games, only possible heavy activities will be photo editing and maybe very light movie editing - all that with connected ACD.

2. Is intel HD 4000 card capable to work with ACD without any glitches? Is it strong enough to perform all activities (includitn mentioned photo and video editing) on ACD (with such a high resolution?)

3. Is it possible to connect external speakers to ACD - they do have standard 3.5mm jack - so if I use any converter (3.5mm - usb) and connect them to ACD, will they be used by air after connecting to ACD? or it does not work like that?

4. Does anyone use external HD connected to ACD? when ACD connected to air - does it automatically mount it as external disk for air? is it fast enough to have all my iPhoto library on this external disk?

thx for advice:)

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
The new air can power a Thunderbolt Display just fine. And should not have any issues at all with light video editing. And, as far as speakers and external drives, they will behave the same, regardless of being plugged into the Air or the Display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.