Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1
thunderfunny
macrumors newbie

SSD music applications question?

If I have a ssd 480gb of music samples/plugins/software ,but the (DAW) digital audio workstation is installed on a 120gb ssd would you suggest I should put the samples/plugins inside the 120gb ssd where the (daw) is"which i would need a bigger ssd for that to happen", or would it run the same speed when using the plugins inside the 480gb ssd?what do you suggest and why?And do you guys know of any site forums that can help me with these types of music tech related questions? Hope you understand the questions. (Sorry for my english)

I have a macpro 12core, 32gb, xeon 2.66ghz
Attached Images

thunderfunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:42 AM   #2
CFoss
macrumors 6502

First, you might want to post this in the Digital Audio board. People probably will know more what to do there.

Secondly, I believe it is usually recommended that plug-ins, recordings and virtual instruments are installed on a separate drive from Logic. Otherwise, one drive is overwhelmed trying to read and multiple processes. At least, this is my understanding. I know you're definitely supposed to have a separate drive for recording anyway.

With two SSDs, you're going to be more than fine though. Only the most demanding/unoptimized of systems really require SSD for samples (example, EastWest QuantumLeap Hollywood Strings comes to mind). That, and certain SSDs might be slow for writing, but apart from recording audio, that really isn't an issue.
CFoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 12:21 PM   #3
thunderfunny
macrumors newbie

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoss View Post
First, you might want to post this in the Digital Audio board. People probably will know more what to do there.

Secondly, I believe it is usually recommended that plug-ins, recordings and virtual instruments are installed on a separate drive from Logic. Otherwise, one drive is overwhelmed trying to read and multiple processes. At least, this is my understanding. I know you're definitely supposed to have a separate drive for recording anyway.

With two SSDs, you're going to be more than fine though. Only the most demanding/unoptimized of systems really require SSD for samples (example, EastWest QuantumLeap Hollywood Strings comes to mind). That, and certain SSDs might be slow for writing, but apart from recording audio, that really isn't an issue.
I agree. I'm probably getting the 956gb OWC Mercury Accelsior PCIe SSD for all my DAW's and 2x3g 480gb ssd for the hollywood strings and other large software plugins that I have. I don't have a big audio board because I mainly do electric dance music. But i do have digi 003 rack for some vocals and some instruments. Thanks and ill keep doing some research on this topic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.16.29 AM.png
Views:	13
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	344822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-06-24 at 11.18.18 AM.png
Views:	8
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	344823  
Attached Images

thunderfunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote