Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Has any website done a comparison of these two processors? For $90 the i7 seems like an easy choice but I want to make sure I maximize battery life as this will be used primarily at school. I've searched online and can't seem to find anything for the 2012 models.

Does anyone know?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The reviews are still coming out. AnandTech is usually the most thorough, but also the last to come out. Last year the difference was negligible.

danrhiggins

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
I have had an MBA '12 13" for 3 weeks now and ...

I also had a 2011 MBA 13" for 9 months. Both were the highest spec'd processors. The 2011 model would get a bit warm and the fan was not uncommon when I was doing a CPU-intense operation. But the 2012 definitely seems cooler and quieter. I have been sitting here for about an hour web surfing and the heat is negligible if there is any at all. (I am in Colorado and it was in the 90's today.) I just unplugged it and the battery meter says 8 hours. So this is light work but I have found the battery life to be excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.