Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haptic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I've been holding out on getting my first Macbook Air until now, not least because I'm cheap and wanted 4gb of RAM at base model prices. But our friendly local Apple reseller now has the 2011 ultimates (1.6 i5*, 4gb RAM, 128GB SSD) on clearance for about $50 less than they'll sell the 2012 base models for when they come in.

The most demanding thing I'd do with it is play the occasional game of Civilization 4 and 5 or Starcraft 2. Is there likely to be a significant difference between the performance of the HD4000 and HD3000?

For my core needs (writing on the go and replacing my netbook), the only practical difference is the extra storage space - I don't plan on keeping enough on it for USB 3 to make a significant difference to backup times. I also have a 15" MBP to do the heavy lifting. I do however plan on keeping it for 5-7 years.

Thanks

*they may not be the ultimates actually - Were i7s available in the 2011 MBAs?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I gather intel has improved the GPU quite a bit, so I'd not skimp on that and opt for the 2012 model. I don't have any benchmarks handy to back that statement up, but its my feeling you'll be better off with the Ivy Bridge based MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.