Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
Is it common to lose a lot of battery power when you put an ipod mini through sleep? No matter how hard I try, it seems that my ipod mini (2nd generation) will only last about 9-10 hours. I also have the EQ on...does that make a huge difference as to why I'm getting such short battery life>?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Then I think you're getting quite a long playtime. The up to 18 hours battery life that Apple advertises is more like a maximum that you can only achieve by pressing the play button once and never skip forwards, backwards or navigate.

The iPod works in the way that it reads several songs into memory at once and then shuts down the hard drive to save battery. Whenever you skip a song or navigate to play from a different play list, the iPod will have to read songs again and the battery life will become shorter. Also, whenever the back-light is on, it will drain the battery faster, but I don't know how much faster.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2005
gekko513 said:
Then I think you're getting quite a long playtime. The up to 18 hours battery life that Apple advertises is more like a maximum that you can only achieve by pressing the play button once and never skip forwards, backwards or navigate.

The iPod works in the way that it reads several songs into memory at once and then shuts down the hard drive to save battery. Whenever you skip a song or navigate to play from a different play list, the iPod will have to read songs again and the battery life will become shorter. Also, whenever the back-light is on, it will drain the battery faster, but I don't know how much faster.

ah I see. I skip tracks A LOT, I just had no idea that doing so would put such a big drain on the battery (that's 50% off the advertised life!!!). Thanks a lot!

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
EQ settings will make a big difference too. Also, I would charge it up by topping up rather than discharge/charge cycles. After playing for 10 hours, charging, playing and so on, the battery begins to hold charge less effectively. If you listen for a few hours during the day, then plug in to top up for an hour, the battery responds much better overall.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I've had my PB sleep for 2 weeks when fully charged. Came back and it was at 70%.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
bleek said:
wut do u mean by topping up instead of charge

Means don't use it until the battery is completely flat and then recharge it. Charge it when it is half full, quarter full etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.