Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1
upsguy27
macrumors 65816
 
upsguy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Send a message via AIM to upsguy27 Send a message via MSN to upsguy27 Send a message via Skype™ to upsguy27
New MacBook Pro mid-2012 changing screen temperature?

I just got the new (non-retina) MacBook Pro a few days ago, and I've noticed that at random times while in Mac OS (Mountain Lion, so that might have something to do with it) the screen temperature changes from the default warm to a much cooler, blue temperature. Going into the display settings shows that the actual color profile didn't change at all, and none of the profiles restore the warm default temperature. A restart will make the change disappear and revert to the warm tone, however, simply continuing to use the computer in the blue tones will eventually revert it back to warm on its own. This is not only annoying, but makes working in color-dependent programs like Photoshop very hard. Why is this happening?

----------

Upon closer investigation, it seems opening Photoshop itself causes the screen to change temperatures, and closing it reverts to the warm. I'd blame Photoshop, but the screen has changed temperatures previously while Photoshop wasn't even running.

----------

Third edit: okay, it seems there are certain apps that trigger the screen temperature change. Photoshop, The Sims 3, and others I haven't discovered yet. Is there some sort of auto-screen change setting introduced in Mountain Lion?
__________________
2.4Ghz i5 Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13", 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD Mac Pro Hackintosh Samsung Galaxy S 5 Black Canon 7D
upsguy27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Moriarty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsguy27 View Post
I just got the new (non-retina) MacBook Pro a few days ago, and I've noticed that at random times while in Mac OS (Mountain Lion, so that might have something to do with it) the screen temperature changes from the default warm to a much cooler, blue temperature. Going into the display settings shows that the actual color profile didn't change at all, and none of the profiles restore the warm default temperature. A restart will make the change disappear and revert to the warm tone, however, simply continuing to use the computer in the blue tones will eventually revert it back to warm on its own. This is not only annoying, but makes working in color-dependent programs like Photoshop very hard. Why is this happening?

----------

Upon closer investigation, it seems opening Photoshop itself causes the screen to change temperatures, and closing it reverts to the warm. I'd blame Photoshop, but the screen has changed temperatures previously while Photoshop wasn't even running.

----------

Third edit: okay, it seems there are certain apps that trigger the screen temperature change. Photoshop, The Sims 3, and others I haven't discovered yet. Is there some sort of auto-screen change setting introduced in Mountain Lion?
I run Snow Leopard on my old Macbook and have a similar thing if I load Warcraft 3. Not necessarily a problem with Mountain Lion... though I could never figure what was going on there either. The programs could be forcing the OS to load a custom ICC profile, but I can't see how that could be anything but detrimental if you're using a calibrated display already.
Moriarty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3
upsguy27
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
upsguy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Send a message via AIM to upsguy27 Send a message via MSN to upsguy27 Send a message via Skype™ to upsguy27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I run Snow Leopard on my old Macbook and have a similar thing if I load Warcraft 3. Not necessarily a problem with Mountain Lion... though I could never figure what was going on there either. The programs could be forcing the OS to load a custom ICC profile, but I can't see how that could be anything but detrimental if you're using a calibrated display already.
It doesn't make any sense because I had just been running this same build of Mountain Lion a week ago with the exact same Photoshop app on a Mac Mini and this was never an issue... It seems to happen with any "intense" app, such as Photoshop, Aperture, iMovie, Final Cut, etc. Weirdly, when I first started using this computer, this never happened when opening those apps.
__________________
2.4Ghz i5 Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13", 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD Mac Pro Hackintosh Samsung Galaxy S 5 Black Canon 7D
upsguy27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Moriarty
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsguy27 View Post
It doesn't make any sense because I had just been running this same build of Mountain Lion a week ago with the exact same Photoshop app on a Mac Mini and this was never an issue... It seems to happen with any "intense" app, such as Photoshop, Aperture, iMovie, Final Cut, etc. Weirdly, when I first started using this computer, this never happened when opening those apps.
Yeah rather odd. Though I just started up Warcraft 3 to check if it was still doing that, and it still does (I recently reinstalled everything). But it only does that if I don't have my external display plugged in. Everything is fine when the external screen is plugged in and Warcraft 3 opens my default on that screen. Perhaps you may get the same behaviour here?

I have no idea how to fix it, but at least you're not the only one with the problem. Perhaps try calling Apple, seeing as you have valid phone support?
Moriarty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:48 PM   #5
thomaskc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Sounds like colour profiles change
thomaskc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:07 PM   #6
upsguy27
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
upsguy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arizona
Send a message via AIM to upsguy27 Send a message via MSN to upsguy27 Send a message via Skype™ to upsguy27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaskc View Post
Sounds like colour profiles change
What do you mean?
__________________
2.4Ghz i5 Late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 13", 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD Mac Pro Hackintosh Samsung Galaxy S 5 Black Canon 7D
upsguy27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:22 AM   #7
thomaskc
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
I mean that in windows and I assume also in osx, you can set/set the color profile used by the monitor. Eg. srgb or what ever, maybe certain programs force a different profile than what the default osx desktop profile is? Then you would see a change in colors depending on the profiles.
thomaskc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:50 PM   #8
BigJohno
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
I report that I am having this issue with chrome on ML DP. Have not tried photoshop yet. This is a really annoying issue.
__________________
Late 2013 RMBP, iPhone 5, iPad air,
Flickr
BigJohno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Winter Charm
macrumors 6502a
 
Winter Charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsguy27 View Post
I just got the new (non-retina) MacBook Pro a few days ago, and I've noticed that at random times while in Mac OS (Mountain Lion, so that might have something to do with it) the screen temperature changes from the default warm to a much cooler, blue temperature. Going into the display settings shows that the actual color profile didn't change at all, and none of the profiles restore the warm default temperature. A restart will make the change disappear and revert to the warm tone, however, simply continuing to use the computer in the blue tones will eventually revert it back to warm on its own. This is not only annoying, but makes working in color-dependent programs like Photoshop very hard. Why is this happening?

----------

Upon closer investigation, it seems opening Photoshop itself causes the screen to change temperatures, and closing it reverts to the warm. I'd blame Photoshop, but the screen has changed temperatures previously while Photoshop wasn't even running.

----------

Third edit: okay, it seems there are certain apps that trigger the screen temperature change. Photoshop, The Sims 3, and others I haven't discovered yet. Is there some sort of auto-screen change setting introduced in Mountain Lion?
This happened to me while running TF2 under BOTH SL and Lion. So, its nothing new.... maybe more apps can use their own color profiles now?
__________________
21.5 2010 iMac; 15" 2011 MBP 2.2Ghz; iPad 2 64GB Wifi; iPhone 4S 32GB; Late 2009 Mac mini 2.5Ghz
Winter Charm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God
 
iPhone1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Honolulu, HI
If you use gfxCardStatus and switch between discrete and integrated only you can see a pretty dramatic change in the temperature of the color profile.

Very annoying and something that did not happen to me while running the developer previews of ML.
iPhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:08 PM   #11
tmanhart
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Mountain Lion Color Switching Fixed

Had the same problem as those that posted above. I tried creating new color profiles (via ColorEyes Display). But opening iPhoto or turning on Teleport made the color switch.

As a last resort I reset the PRAM (Macbook Pro 17 Early 2011) and it fixed the issue.

Hope this works for others.

Update: It only worked till I rebooted. And I could never repeat any success by resetting the Pram.

I reinstalled lion (not a complete reformat) just a reinstall. It worked. I've rebooted several times. The color switching issue has not returned.

Last edited by tmanhart; Jul 31, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
tmanhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2012, 08:11 PM   #12
abhorcosm
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I just started having this problem with Photoshop too...did you ever find any fix?
abhorcosm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:23 PM   #13
jonnyr78
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Hmm, I havea similar problem, with the rMBP in Mountain Lion I can't change color profile; if I do after a second it switches back to some 'default' profile. Very strange
jonnyr78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 05:04 AM   #14
jasonfweb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I have the same problem, it doesn't seem an isolated one:

see here https://discussions.apple.com/message/20162986#20162986 (where I find the console log of the issue, maybe it can help) and here https://discussions.apple.com/message/20153660#20153660

Let's find a solution
jasonfweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2014, 03:33 PM   #15
jpost-design
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Check auto launch apps

I just had this problem, and was searching for help.

In particular, the color temp of my monitor was changing when different apps launched. For example, I noticed it every time I launched Photoshop CC.

Resetting the auto launch apps via system preferences seems to have fixed it for me. Chrome somehow got set to autolaunch, and I believe was messing up the monitor color.

Quick guide here on stopping programs from auto-launch:
http://machicolate.wordpress.com/201...ly-on-startup/

I also logged out and back in, and that may play some part as well. However, logging out and back in without disabling the auto launch of Chrome made no difference at all. So that has to be connected.
jpost-design is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macbook Pro - Coating peeling off? Ashmore MacBook Pro 2 Apr 29, 2014 06:17 PM
Kernel Panics and Screen Issues in Mid-2012 Non-Retina MacBook Pro riotgeek MacBook Pro 2 Aug 22, 2013 09:05 AM
MacBook Pro Mid 2012 13" 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD -- Screen glitch vinhdzn MacBook Pro 32 Nov 29, 2012 09:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC