Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoopTrundler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I went to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store today because my volume down button is stuck and I can't click it or anything, so I have to use touch controls or earbud volume buttons to turn my volume down. The guy there took the iPhone into the back and said that because there was no way for him to repair it, I'd have to pay $150 for a replacement because my phone is out of warranty (I bought it in March of last year). Is it worth it to make an appointment at another Apple Store (or even the same one, with a different person), in hopes that somebody else would replace it for me for free? Has this happened in anybody else's experience? I've always been very careful with my phone and the issue definitely isn't my fault, and I was very polite when speaking to the guy there, so I was surprised my only option was to pay $150 for a replacement. The only other option would be to repair it myself, which costs no more than $15 in terms of parts I'd need, but looks really risky...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've never heard of this particular problem. Yet that doesn't mean much. I'd try calling AppleCare, tell your story to them and see what they say. If you're out of warranty then technically the expense is yours. But it doesn't hurt to try.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
...so I was surprised my only option was to pay $150 for a replacement.

being out of warranty, why were you surprised?

to your question, it can't hurt to try another apple store. you might get a free replacement; you might not. if not, try the self repair. if that doesn't work out, then get the out of warranty replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.