Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acw9293

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
Okay, not needs, but it would help me greatly!
1)Ability to hold at least 4 cards - ID, CampusAccess, debit card, and Y pass.
2)Can fit in my pocket, especially when I'm wearing jeans (gets cold in Bloomington in December!)
3)Camera hole or ability to quickly access the camera - as a journalism student, I need the ability to access the camera for pictures and videography quickly.
4)Not so much a requirement as a desire - I'd like for the case to not go all the way up to the edges of the screen. I like at least a little room around the screen for my fingers to move on.

I really like the BookBook case, but am concerned about the fact that it does not have a camera hole and have not seen it in person so am concerned about its ability to fit into a man's jeans pocket.
Thank you!

drb5

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
UK
2)Can fit in my pocket, especially when I'm wearing jeans (gets cold in Bloomington in December!)
3)Camera hole or ability to quickly access the camera - as a journalism student, I need the ability to access the camera for pictures and videography quickly.
4)Not so much a requirement as a desire - I'd like for the case to not go all the way up to the edges of the screen. I like at least a little room around the screen for my fingers to move on.

I really like the BookBook case, but am concerned about the fact that it does not have a camera hole and have not seen it in person so am concerned about its ability to fit into a man's jeans pocket.
Thank you!

The Bookbook is your best bet tbh. Seen someone on here cut a hole out for camera and it fits in your jeans pocket just fine. Never struggled with mine anyway.

gokart mozart

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
As someone else said, a carefully made cutout on the back of the bookbook is probably your best bet. I can only see the bookbook being too bulky if you wear skinny jeans. Think about how many guys walk around with otterboxes in their pockets. The bookbook with 4 cards would definitely be thinner. They carry them at Apple stores, if you happen to have access to one.

Unlike the Hex, the Bookbook will give you much better protection too. Snap on cases like the Hex don't always give the best "lay on the table" design. Its a bigger deal than you might think at restaurants and bars with wet surfaces. Not to mention the bookbook can just be closed up if you really want to save your phone from the elements.

(gets cold in Bloomington in December!)

Hoosier? Wallet-case combo will be your best friend at tailgates and Roys. One less thing to lose on 3$ Thursday.

And if you are in Bloomington, IN, the book/computer store in the Union may have bookbooks. They do carry some cases. The Apple reseller on Walnut (in the little shopping center across from the big CVS) may also carry them. If so, it'd be worth going to see the cases in person so you can make your own decision.

Another option is the Speck Candyshell Card. You can find it on Amazon, Walmart, and Apple stores. Maybe even Target.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMa53RAxMvc
It'll also be a good bit cheaper than the Bookbook, while still providing better protection than the Hex case. Also, The rubber lining on the inside of the hard plastic on this case will probably give you the best shock absorption of all these cases. You'll be thankful for having bought this case if you ever drop your phone on the sidewalk or off your desk in class.

Last edited:

Ray-

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012

Thank you!

The Bookbook fits fine. On the other hand, the lack of a camera hole is a complete pain, I eventually gave up on mine. Still a nice case though.

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
HEX Solo or Speck Candyshell card would fit in your pocket. Other wallet cases like 2-way or 3-way folding cases would be bulky, so wouldn't fit in your pocket.

acw9293

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
How many will the Hex Solo hold? And how crippling is the lack of a camera hole on the bookbook?

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
How many will the Hex Solo hold? And how crippling is the lack of a camera hole on the bookbook?

I have both. After some breaking in, I can keep 2 cards in each of the pockets of the hex solo. I dont typically use the camera but when I do, I don't consider it too much of an inconvenience to flip the top insert out and get the phone out of the bookbook for pictures.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston
I'll bump an old thread instead of starting a new one.

I occasionally wear board shorts with one pocket. I ride the commuter train and need a credit card style monthly pass with me at all times. It sucks carrying my wallet, ID badge and iphone in a single pocket.

So... I'm looking for a convenient small case that will fit a credit card, ID and my train pass. The train pass is a little thicker than a piece of paper so it isn't full thickness of a credit card. I very rarely carry cash. As an example of how thin the train pass is, I currently keep it between my phone and incase snap case. But that doesn't help me with my ID and credit cards and is a PITA taking the case off multiple times a day.

Whatchu got?

DocGo

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
Toronto
I like my BookBook case. I made a camera hole for it. Not too big since I never use the flash so it is just enough for the camera lens.
63e878e7-365d-58bd.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.