Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigerin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 29, 2012
It's unusual for apple to carry their old models but with iPad lines they kept the iPad 2 as I a budget price. Does anyone thinks they will keep the iPad 2 and sell it for 300?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It's unusual for apple to carry their old models but with iPad lines they kept the iPad 2 as I a budget price. Does anyone thinks they will keep the iPad 2 and sell it for 300?

It's not unusual for Apple to carry last year's model, they've been doing it with the touches and iPhones for at least the last two years, if not from the beginning. What *is* unusual is that when the iPhone 4S came out, iPhone 3GS stayed "on sale" at $0 with a two-year carrier contract. But since iPads don't come with subsidized carrier contacts, I kind of doubt Apple will keep selling a two-year old model. We'll see.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
It's not unusual for Apple to carry last year's model, they've been doing it with the touches and iPhones for at least the last two years, if not from the beginning. What *is* unusual is that when the iPhone 4S came out, iPhone 3GS stayed "on sale" at $0 with a two-year carrier contract. But since iPads don't come with subsidized carrier contacts, I kind of doubt Apple will keep selling a two-year old model. We'll see.

Apple has never sold the prior year's model iPod Touch alongside the new model.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Yes they have! They sold 8Gb 2nd gen alongside 32 and 64Gb 3rd gen.

That was simply their lineup. You wouldn't call the current black iPod touch the 4th gen and the white the 5th gen because technically the white is the only truly new model. Also, I was talking about selling the prior model alongside the new model, as in Apple is currently selling a 16GB iPad 2 alongside a 16GB iPad 3rd generation. This has never happened with the iPod Touch. I would argue that Apple has only done this with two lines- iPhone and iPad.

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
That was simply their lineup. You wouldn't call the current black iPod touch the 4th gen and the white the 5th gen because technically the white is the only truly new model. Also, I was talking about selling the prior model alongside the new model, as in Apple is currently selling a 16GB iPad 2 alongside a 16GB iPad 3rd generation. This has never happened with the iPod Touch. I would argue that Apple has only done this with two lines- iPhone and iPad.

What are you on about? For one year Apple sold the second gen iPod touch (based on iPhone 3G hardware) ALONGSIDE the third gen iPod touch (based on iPhone 3GS hardware). They kept the old hardware so they could have a low price iPod touch even though it had old hardware. This caused some confusion as some people thought they were buying a third gen iPod touch when they bought the 8Gb model when it was actually the second gen hardware.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What are you on about? For one year Apple sold the second gen iPod touch (based on iPhone 3G hardware) ALONGSIDE the third gen iPod touch (based on iPhone 3GS hardware). They kept the old hardware so they could have a low price iPod touch even though it had old hardware. This caused some confusion as some people thought they were buying a third gen iPod touch when they bought the 8Gb model when it was actually the second gen hardware.

Yup. And I believe the current 8GB model they have on sale is the 3rd gen touch, though I could be wrong, as I haven't been paying close attention to the touch since they didn't update it this time.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Yup. And I believe the current 8GB model they have on sale is the 3rd gen touch, though I could be wrong, as I haven't been paying close attention to the touch since they didn't update it this time.

No, the whole line is 4th gen right now. The only 3rd gens Apple is selling are refurbs. Remember, 4th gen has the cameras, 3rd gen didn't.

People expected a 5th gen iPod Touch at last year's update but Apple decided only to continue offering the 4th gen- but in black and white. Curious to see what they have up their sleeve for the entire iPod line this year as they are all getting stale. Although I guess that's for another thread.

----------

They never sold it alongside the 3rd gen. It was simply the lineup for that year. To me, alongside would be two 8GB versions being offered as in an 8GB 2nd gen and 8GB 3rd gen. Today, we have iPad 2 16Gb wifi being sold alongside 16GB wifi iPad 3rd gen. That's what I mean, so that's what I'm "on about".

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
The iPad 2 is actually a great device, I would bet it has a longer life span than the 3 simply because the retina is so processor heavy and the iPad 2 has much, much more than it needs to handle its display. It's very similar to the iPhone 3GS, which apple still sells on their website.

In terms of actually having it in the retail stores, I guess that's up to apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.