Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:41 AM   #1
kidwithdimples
macrumors 6502a

how do I back up my MBP to my Windows 7?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner with exHDD for my MBP. It's annoying to have it attached. Is it possible to attach that exHDD to my Windows 7 machine and redirect CCC to back it up on the exHDD via Windows 7? I can already access files on my Windows 7 from MBP and vice versa.

My router doesn't have a USB port. And Windows 7 doesn't show my exHDD when I plug it in. Is it because it's Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) format? I went to Computer > Devices and it's working fine but just doesn't show in My Computer.
kidwithdimples is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
rwwest7
macrumors regular

Why do you not use Time Machine? That plus an ext HDD is the greatest thing ever. You just plug in the HDD, it does a back up in the background automatically, when the arrow stops spinning you can eject. It will queue the data for the next backup until you plug it in again and then dump once you do.

It's amazing how easy it is. Just plug in...grab some coffee....eject. It will backup whatever is in the queue whenever it sees the ext HDD.
rwwest7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:29 PM   #3
kidwithdimples
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwest7 View Post
Why do you not use Time Machine? That plus an ext HDD is the greatest thing ever. You just plug in the HDD, it does a back up in the background automatically, when the arrow stops spinning you can eject. It will queue the data for the next backup until you plug it in again and then dump once you do.

It's amazing how easy it is. Just plug in...grab some coffee....eject. It will backup whatever is in the queue whenever it sees the ext HDD.
I know but I am a lazy bum and I know I will not do that, lol

even my CCC keeps on reminding me about the next backup and I keep hitting postpone. I just want to have it plugged in to the desktop.
kidwithdimples is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:12 AM   #4
rwwest7
macrumors regular

Keep in mind that having an external drive plugged in and spinning 24/7 will dramatically reduce its life. If you just plug it in when you need it, eject it when you're done and put it back on the shelf it will last a lot longer.

IMO, putting all this time into researching and getting it to save to a Windows share is a lot more work than just using Time Machine plus the external.
rwwest7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking