Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
A transition - Meaning the older design is just in the process of being phased out.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Phased out.

There's as much need for a built-in optical drive on a laptop as there is on an iPhone!

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
I suspect a full transition to Retina displays in all Apple products in 2014 as well. I don't think they will want to split the products as Retina equipped and non-Retina equipped.

pcomac

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
but if they go all retina itll cut out their college students market. most parents arent willing to spend $1600 on a laptop.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
but if they go all retina itll cut out their college students market. most parents arent willing to spend $1600 on a laptop.

The laptops will all go retina when the costs are sufficiently low to sell them for the same price as the current equivalent MacBook Pro. And please note that the main reason why the retina MacBook Pro is so expensive is probably the large SSD drive (256 or 512 GB), and not the retina display.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
My prediction is that they will kill off everything except the MBA11,13 and the RMBP15.

I also think we won't see any a MBA with retina in the near future. There just isn't enough room for any extra batteries. If that is really the case than I think their lineup is going to be MBA11,13 and RMBP13,15

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Like many of the posters here, I believe they will phase out the current design in favor of the Retina MBP. However, I think it will take some time before they get rid of the regular Unibody form factor.

-SSDs have gone down in price, but they still aren't "affordable" for the average consumer. Within the next year, it seems that they will become a much better deal.
-The Retina display can't be cheap. When the price of that comes down, Apple will be able to incorporate it into the 13 inch MBP, and completely transition away from the current design.
-Some members will disagree with me on this point, but I don't think the general public is ready to completely move past Optical drives. I think the Retina MBP of today is going to help get people used to the idea of a full-fledge notebook without the ODD.

If Apple is able to sell Retina MBPs at around the current price of Unibody MBPs, they definitely will eliminate the previous line and solely sell Retinas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.