Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Im just posting to rant, I would just do it to the wife and kids but tbh they really do not care as long as I fix it. Somehow i deleted my Home calendar, so i have to go back and add all of that stuff back in, a real pain.

I was messing around with iCloud and somehow i did this. I even created an archive of the calendar on the iMac before i started messing around but when i import from this nothing comes in.

So crap, crap crap.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Im just posting to rant, I would just do it to the wife and kids but tbh they really do not care as long as I fix it. Somehow i deleted my Home calendar, so i have to go back and add all of that stuff back in, a real pain.

I was messing around with iCloud and somehow i did this. I even created an archive of the calendar on the iMac before i started messing around but when i import from this nothing comes in.

So crap, crap crap.

Thanks.

Hang on... all is not lost. I went through the same thing and here is what you need to do to get your calendar back.

Problem is using the "archive" backup version you have from iCal you cannot restore an iCal calendar using iCloud. As soon as you import it, the calendar appears then a split second later as soon as iCloud syncs it disappears. To import a calendar into iCal with iCloud it needs to be in the .ics file format. When you click the file menu and see the export option you want the top choice that says "Export..." not the one below it that says "iCal Archive..."

Here is what you need to do to convert to the Export... .ics version.

Go into iCloud settings in System Prefs and turn off iCloud calendar syncing. Now start iCal and in the import menu import the iCal archive file you have. You should now have your calendar back and it should not disappear since iCloud sync is off. Now go to the iCal file menu and select export and the "Export..." option. Name and save that file.

Now turn iCloud calendar sync back on. Your calendar will probably disappear again. In the iCal file menu select "New calendar" then create a new calendar on iCloud (not On My Mac). No go to the iCal file menu and Import/Import... then select the .ics file you created from the above paragraph. When asked where to import it have it import into the new iCloud calendar you just made.

That should import your calendar into iCloud and stick in iCal and sync across devices.

Beemer740i

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2013
Thanks Weasleboy! I just messed up my calendar and had issue as described above and I was able to restore using your instructions - Almost a year later... :) Again, Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.