Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I'm looking for a tool that converts my iTunes library (iTunes match AACs and MP3s) to MP3 and puts the files in a different folder. This way it should remove my iTunes account information from the files.
I tried Max, which I liked so far, but it turns out to be unstable when converting my library of about 9000 files and it stops when hitting a corrupt file.

After the initial process it would be great to have a tool "listening" to changes in the itunes library, e.g. when I add new songs or add cover art it would automatically add new songs etc. to the folder containing my MP3 library.

Is anybody doing the same? I'll be happy to hear your suggestions.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I'm looking for a tool that converts my iTunes library (iTunes match AACs and MP3s).I'll be happy to hear your suggestions.

Converting one lossy format to another lossy format is an extremely bad idea. You will end up with poor quality MP3's.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm looking for a tool that converts my iTunes library (iTunes match AACs and MP3s) to MP3 and puts the files in a different folder. This way it should remove my iTunes account information from the files.
You can create MP3s with iTunes or with All2MP3, but your iTunes account information is not stored in the files. There are no tags for account information.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you could give XLD a try, although i use it for converting FLAC files it should be able to do what you're asking as well.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
You can create MP3s with iTunes or with All2MP3, but your iTunes account information is not stored in the files. There are no tags for account information.

Yes, there are when downloaded from iTunes match. That alone isn't too bad, but I want to move my iTunes match subscription from an US account to my German account and iTunes match won't accept them with the associated acc information.

Try XLD

Why would you want to convert to MP3, most modern gear plays AAC.

See above. Also my fathers Audi doesn't play AAC.

you could give XLD a try, although i use it for converting FLAC files it should be able to do what you're asking as well.

Thank you. Does it have the "watch folder" option?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have two tags (translated to English by me):
Downloaded by: my name
Account: my email address
I've never seen such tags (although I rip all my music, so I've never bought from the iTunes store or used iTunes Match, since it limits to 25K songs). Can't you simply edit the tags with a tag editor?

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I've never seen such tags (although I rip all my music, so I've never bought from the iTunes store or used iTunes Match, since it limits to 25K songs). Can't you simply edit the tags with a tag editor?

No. I did some research on this a while back and converting the files seems to be the easiest way to do it.
I know it's a hassle but the convenience of iTunes match for me is greater than the inconvenience to have a tag free copy of my music on my Mac.
Also, when I have migrated my library to my German account I might not even keep the MP3s bc usually it doesn't bother me. If I want an album or two in MP3 I can quickly convert it in iTunes.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Just tried XLD.
It skips about half of the selected tracks without warning. Some album folders contain only one song.
Anybody else having this problem? What should I do?

I will try All2MP3 next. And hoping there is one reliable music converter out there :(

Edit: just noticed it doesn't support AAC files... :(

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I just converted one before I posted. Perhaps the file is corrupted or damaged. Have you tried others?

Yes, I put in all artist starting with A and it converted none of the AAC files. Maybe I need to install the appropriate codec (sth like lame)? Any idea what might be wrong?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, I put in all artist starting with A and it converted none of the AAC files. Maybe I need to install the appropriate codec (sth like lame)? Any idea what might be wrong?
I don't recall having to install any codecs. What version are you running? What version of Mac OS X?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
XLD 141.0
Lion 10.7.4

The website also doesn't mention AAC compatibility. Only ALAC.
Wait... go back and read post #12 and what I quoted. I'm talking about All2MP3, not XLD. Your post made it sound like you were saying All2MP3 doesn't support AAC files.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Wait... go back and read post #12 and what I quoted. I'm talking about All2MP3, not XLD. Your post made it sound like you were saying All2MP3 doesn't support AAC files.

Oh ok, so we had a little misunderstanding.
But I tried all2mp3 and it doesnt seem to support the conversion of folders, only multiple files. So it's not the right tool either.

Still looking for the perfect tool for my needs ;)

Thanks for your help, do you know any other good converting program?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Oh ok, so we had a little misunderstanding.
But I tried all2mp3 and it doesnt seem to support the conversion of folders, only multiple files.
You can easily select multiple files from many folders to drag to All2MP3.

yensteel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
I'm not sure if it's a good program, but I use Max when I'm converting from one type of audio to another.

http://sbooth.org/Max/

I still use XLD when I'm ripping my CDs though

Edit: Doh!

Last edited:

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
You can easily select multiple files from many folders to drag to All2MP3.

Yeah, but I can't specify an output directory.

I'm back using Max now, couldn't find a better program. I'll just have to press 'OK' every time it's stuck on a corrupt file.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah, but I can't specify an output directory.
Sure you can. Click the "Change all Paths" button.
ScreenCap 2012-06-25 at Mon, Jun 25,10.01.22 AM .PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.