Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
A long time ago I used to plug my iphone into my iMac's usb every night before bed. It does automatic data sync AND backup.

Now we moved to wireless syncing with itunes. Great. Except now it will only sync every night and NOT backup. So what am I suppose to do now? Go back to USB syncing?

And no, I don't want to use icloud backup because my icloud is full and also I want my backup local.

Anyone have a fix? I don't want to manually click backup, is there any reason why it isn't automatic along with sync?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Posting a question does not guarantee answers on any discussion forum site.

Have you looked for any similar threads?

https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
A long time ago I used to plug my iphone into my iMac's usb every night before bed. It does automatic data sync AND backup.

Now we moved to wireless syncing with itunes. Great. Except now it will only sync every night and NOT backup.
Poking around on Apple's support site, I can't find anything that indicates that backup should work automatically over WiFi. :confused:

Both of their general iOS backup documents have been updated since iOS 5 came out (which added that feature):
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4946
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
If you have iCloud backup it won't backup in iTunes on your computer. It's either or not both.

If you want both you need to manually back it up on your computer by clicking on your iPhones name.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
My iPhone never automatically syncs over Wi-Fi, I always have to click the "Sync" button.

When I do that, it does a backup as well.

yalag

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
My iPhone never automatically syncs over Wi-Fi, I always have to click the "Sync" button.

When I do that, it does a backup as well.

But that's not suppose to be the case. It should automatically sync when you charge. Can anyone confirm that it doesn't automatically backup? Why? Why did apple do this?

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
But that's not suppose to be the case. It should automatically sync when you charge. Can anyone confirm that it doesn't automatically backup? Why? Why did apple do this?

(If I've understood you correctly), isn't there an option in iTunes that you tick/untick, that says something like "Prevent devices from synchronising automatically when connected to iTunes"?

If that is ticked, then your IPhone will not do anything when you connect it.

So check that's unticked and make sure iTunes is running, then when you connect your iPhone at night it should sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.