Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
How long does the retina Macbook Pro take to charge?

Does the charger turn its LED off when its charged?

jeutie

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Belgium
Takes me anywhere between an hour and a half to two hours to recharge from 1% to 100% whilst in light use. It really depends on what you're doing whilst charging though. e.g: Playing Diablo 3 whilst plugged in will result in not charging at all. (Power is consumed immediately.) Whilst charging the LED is orange. Once fully charged it turns green. It does not turn off.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Takes me anywhere between an hour and a half to two hours to recharge from 1% to 100% whilst in light use. It really depends on what you're doing whilst charging though. e.g: Playing Diablo 3 whilst plugged in will result in not charging at all. (Power is consumed immediately.) Whilst charging the LED is orange. Once fully charged it turns green. It does not turn off.

Thanks, color blind hard to see the change ....

jeutie

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Belgium
Thanks, color blind hard to see the change ....
No problem at all. Ah, being colorblind will make it a tad harder to know when it's fully charged indeed. That combined with the lack of a battery indicator on the side, I guess your best bet will be just opening the lid and looking at the percentage. :)

golu14

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
Maybe try an external battery indicator? Something that plugs inside usb and displays percentage on an external 1cm lcd screen?
Do they exist?lol

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008

That's insanely fast. It takes my non retina MBA about that long to charge. I thought the rMBP would have twice the battery as the MBP which would result in longer charging times, similar to the extremely long charge time for the new iPad compared to the iPad 2.

jeutie

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2011
Belgium
Maybe try an external battery indicator? Something that plugs inside usb and displays percentage on an external 1cm lcd screen?
Do they exist?lol
I doubt that exists, and if it does, I don't think it'll be compatible with the Mac?
That's insanely fast. It takes my non retina MBA about that long to charge. I thought the rMBP would have twice the battery as the MBP which would result in longer charging times, similar to the extremely long charge time for the new iPad compared to the iPad 2.
I thought it was fast as well! But I timed it last night, took 2 hours and a bit whilst watching YouTube video's. =)

golu14

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Delhi, India
I doubt that exists, and if it does, I don't think it'll be compatible with the Mac?

I thought it was fast as well! But I timed it last night, took 2 hours and a bit whilst watching YouTube video's. =)

Not sure about compatibilty but they cant be that hard to make

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.