Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:38 AM   #1
matthews1492
macrumors member

audio interface question

I'm interested in doing some solo recordings with my Imac G5 and garageband2. It would be simultaneous vocal and guitar. I have a couple mics and a mixer board that can output upto four channels.

I've used RCA -> 1/8 inch cables into the computer before and found the sound quality to be not great. So being in the market for an audio interface, would it be better to get a cheap RCA -> USB or another one like the M-audio fastrack usb. In garage band will it let you input two simultaneous channels?

If I wanted to do overdubs (one or two) would one help avoid any latency issues? If you monitor from the usb interface is the sound sync'd up better?

Thanks!
matthews1492 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:02 PM   #2
Mr. Monsieur
macrumors 6502

from what i can tell GB2 allows up to 8 tracks...as for input devices...i decided to go with a firewire interface so as to reduce the possibility of latency issues...the m-audio solo firewire may suffice for you...i went with the presonus firebox, which has tended to have better reviews...but it's not exactly cheap...
however...*if* you want to get MIDI into the iBook as well, then the firebox or the m-audio 410 may be better options, as they include MIDI in/out...once you've added a MIDI interface to the firewire solo, you're pretty close to the price of the firebox or 410 (check for great deals on eBay!)...plus, you have a lot of room for expansion in the future (this was my reasoning anyway).

Last edited by Mr. Monsieur; Jul 27, 2005 at 12:08 PM.
Mr. Monsieur is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio