Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
uthaya7
macrumors newbie

IPhone 4 stuck in recovery mode

Hi Everyone

I'm don't have much knowledge about JBing. I tried upgrading my jailbroken IPhone 4 to 5.1.1 using redsn0w custom ipsw. But unfortunately ended up in recovery mode :-(
The phone is detected in recovery mode by iTunes, when i try to install custom made no BB ipsw it shows up error 1604.
I tried making an another ipsw by stitching my blobs to the custom ipsw and tried installing but receive the same error still.

I tried on different computers, USBs, iRec, redsn0w etc but i couldn't get the phone out of recovery mode.

Pls help me!!!
uthaya7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:31 PM   #2
TSX
macrumors 68030

Have you tried tiny umbrella to kick it out?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:55 AM   #3
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Why a custom IPSW, those are for preserving baseband only. ?
What baseband is on your phone.
Also try Redsn0w Recovery fix (or TinyUmbrella which always has worked for me).

Once you get it out of recovery, go to iClarified.com and follow a tutorial.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:00 AM   #4
uthaya7
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys....

already i tried TU/redsn0w but no use, both failed to kick out of the recovery mode.

I use custom ipsw coz i depend on hardware unlock for my iPhone.

My iPhone is now an useless brick since 1 week.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:19 AM   #5
ZCherub
macrumors 6502a

Are you sure you were actually in DFU mode? You should not see the iTunes logo on your phone if you are properly in DFU mode.

Open RedSn0w and follow the steps to get into Pwnd DFU mode, then CAREFULLY follow the steps - you should see just a black screen and RedSn0w should confirm that you're in Pwnd DFU.

After that, you can Shift+Restore in iTunes to install your custom iPSW. If that fails, you may try to download another 5.1.1 firmware (perhaps from a different source), and cook a new custom iPSW.

iP4S (16GB) | 5.1.1 stock firmware
ZCherub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:37 AM   #6
TriJetHero
macrumors 601

from the iphone wiki:
Error 1604
Device was not pwned (signature checks were not blocked). Custom firmware can't be restored. Can also happen when there's a problem with the IPSW.

Try again in pwnd-DFU mode using redsn0w
iPad 2 WIFI iOS 8.0 GM
TriJetHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 04:13 AM   #7
uthaya7
macrumors newbie

I'm not in DFU mode guys! When connected with redsn0w it recognizes the mode as recovery mode. When i try recovery fix in redsn0w it ends up with an error "DFU mode failed-You have ended up in recovery mode instead of DFU mode."

someone please help!!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 07:15 AM   #8
MNFL
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uthaya7 View Post
I'm not in DFU mode guys! When connected with redsn0w it recognizes the mode as recovery mode. When i try recovery fix in redsn0w it ends up with an error "DFU mode failed-You have ended up in recovery mode instead of DFU mode."

someone please help!!
been there before...
system files are corrupt.. iPhone cannot launch because some needed files aren't even there or damaged
my solution was Restoring in iTunes
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:34 AM   #9
labman
macrumors 604

I'm going to suggest that you seek out somebody with more knowledge then yourself on jailbreak/unlocking by that I mean a friend or maybe somebody on craigslist. you have to do things a certain way or else you will loose the preserved baseband also have you tried contacting the carrier to see if they will unlock it. I just think your a little out of your knowledge area here unless you to things correctly your going to mess up big. Yes we can talk you though but we miss a step or you don't fallow a step you are SOL. Also do not update though Itunes as suggested you will loose your baseband. you can also try Ireb and Snowbreeze both for PC only to kick it out.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #10
hasanryaz
macrumors newbie

Having the exam same problem!

Guys,

I just landed myself in precisely the exam same situation.

Locked iPhone 4 with 5.0.1 trying to upgrade to 5.1.1 but got stock while iTunes was upgrading and landed in recovery mode. Tiny Umbrella, iReb, Redsn0w.. all have failed to get it out of the recovery mode. Unless it gets out of the recovery mode, I can't get in the DFU.

Read plenty of blogs.. trying my luck here as well.

Any help would be much much appreciated!

Thanks,
H
hasanryaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:19 PM   #11
alexshay32393
macrumors newbie

Here's what I did

I had the exact same problem after trying to update while saving my BB. I got that same error message that you did. Before you even press next on the screen start doing the process to go into dfu. You will not receive the error message and redsn0w will recognize your in dfu and continue the process from there!
alexshay32393 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:42 PM   #12
jinx1000
macrumors member

If your phone is out of contract then AT&T will unlock it for free assuming that's your carrier. Also there are tons of cheap imei unlockers out there. There are threads on here suggesting good ones. Also eBay is good because of the feedback available. I got mine done for $13 and it's gotten even cheaper. AT&T again...
jinx1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks