Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Just wondering since the iOS 6 won't be available for the iPhone 4, will the same happen to the 4s when iOS 7 cones out?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
every iOS device will get 2 major iOS version. the i4 starts with 4 and can go up to 6 but with limited features.

the i4s will have a fully iOS 6 features but will be limited on some features that iOS 7 has.

this trend happened with all iOS Devices from te iPad 1 to the iPhone 4S

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
every iOS device will get 2 major iOS version. the i4 starts with 4 and can go up to 6 but with limited features.

the i4s will have a fully iOS 6 features but will be limited on some features that iOS 7 has.

Normally are the limited features that are not available on older devices "important" or just silly features

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Normally are the limited features that are not available on older devices "important" or just silly features

iPhone 4 and iPad 2 will not get facetime over 3g, which i think an important feature for facetime to be usable.

i don't use facetime on home with wifi, i need facetime when buying things alone when my wife can't come with me so i can show her the stuff we are looking real time, like i used it when i bought the sofa for our new home. back then i was jailbreaking my iphone and using facebreak tweak.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

That depends on your approach to the features.

I think FaceTime and Siri are pointless and silly, but it doesn't mean that others don't care about them.

If you buy Apple products, you have to accept that the software updates will have artificial limitations to encourage upgrading.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008

That's not entirely set in stone. The 3GS will be getting iOS 6 too, the third major upgrade. I can't imagine Apple discontinuing the iPhone 4 in September/October. I think they'll keep it as a budget iPhone, just like the 3GS. This would mean that Apple will keep selling the iPhone 4 for at least another year, and I can't imagine Apple dropping software support immediately after they stop selling it.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Yes, but unfortunately the 4S hardware will be outdated at that time and Siri won't be able to park your car for you

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
The only two things you are guaranteed in life is Death & Taxes. When iOS 7 comes out the 7th Gen iPhone will be with it, making the iPhone 4S the 4th Gen and if you look at the current iOS chart I would say its likely you may NOT get all of the iOS 7 features. We may, but we may not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.