Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:53 AM   #1
nec207
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Any good RPG games around for Mac

Anyone know of some good RPG games for Mac?

Here is list of some RPG games I know of that will run with out bootcamp or wine.



Torchlight
Neverwinter Nights 2

Dungeons Of Dredmor
Dragon Age: Origins
Dinís Curse

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Borderlands
Avadon
Two Worlds 2
The Black Fortress
WoW
Avernum
Neverwinter Nights
Helbreath


All these games will run on OS X.
nec207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Vinda-lou
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Dragon Age games on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000716161

PC & Mac
Vinda-lou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:48 AM   #3
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
A couple of my favorites from the Mac Appstore:

The Bard's Tale
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition (coming 'summer 2012')
Diablo III
__________________
Knowledge is power. Learn something new every day!
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:48 AM   #4
chilly willy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Knights of the Old Republic is fantastic game imho.

Wish Bioware would port Mass Effect for Macs.
__________________
15" MBP 2.66 GHz, 8 GB RAM; 20" C2D iMac; iPad2 32 GB; iPhone 4s
chilly willy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:42 AM   #5
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Ultima 7 part 1 and part 2 (You'll need to use the Exult wrapper for it - even on Windows though).
http://exult.sourceforge.net/
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ultima_7_complete

IMO, best RPG ever created.
bogatyr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 04:49 PM   #6
nec207
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Some of these games I don't know if they will run on Mac but are very good.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Awesome use of the open class system, awesome weapons, best hack 'n slash combat I have seen in my life... Ask almost anyone, they will tell you this is good.


Dragon Age Origins: Amazing RPG with great story and an awesome way of changing the story depending on the choices you make in the game. Real time strategic combat, pausable for strategic descisions.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Best. RPG. Ever. If you like Star Wars, this game has the most different weapons and clothing options in any game i've ever seen. Also, the different light and dark endings make for an awesome story, similar combat system to Dragon Age (awesome).

Fallout 3: Future post-apocolypse setting with a first person shooter twist to it, but still an RPG... What is lacks in magic and evil spirits it has in awesomeness. It has zombies and radiation mutants though... Also, story is amazing.

Mass Effect series: I've never played them but they look good and everyone I know who's played them liked them...

I know I only have from Bethesda and Bio-Ware but those are the best RPGs I could think of.
nec207 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Not quite related to the thread, since it'll require bootcamp or wine to run, but I can't resist passing up recommending two of my favorite games of all time.

Gothic 2

...and to a slightly lesser extent...

Gothic 1

The controls take a bit to get used to, and the games are at times unforgivably difficult, but holy crap they're great. It's one of the few RPGs out there that actually go the distance to make the world and the people living in it feel like living, breathing things. Even if most of the people you do meet are kind of self centered bastards out to make life difficult for you.

I heartily recommend them both.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Dr. McKay
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Belgium, Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition (coming 'summer 2012')
Please, please, please, let it run on Snow Leopard...
Dr. McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:22 AM   #9
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
What an awesome thread! I wouldn't have known about the ridiculous Amazon Dragon Age sale if I hadn't seen this.

Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition
- Dragon Age Origins
- Dragon Age expansion - Awakenings
- Loads of DLC (about 6 new CAMPAIGNS)

For Mac OS X

Total price? $7.49. Seven dollars and forty nine cents!

No brainer. Bought, installed, totally awesome. What are you waiting for?
__________________
Knowledge is power. Learn something new every day!
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #10
nec207
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Yap if you like that game you really like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion. They are all windows games and there no mac version .

I don't know any Mac games like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion but they are really awesome games.
nec207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:38 AM   #11
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
What an awesome thread! I wouldn't have known about the ridiculous Amazon Dragon Age sale if I hadn't seen this.

Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition
- Dragon Age Origins
- Dragon Age expansion - Awakenings
- Loads of DLC (about 6 new CAMPAIGNS)

For Mac OS X

Total price? $7.49. Seven dollars and forty nine cents!

No brainer. Bought, installed, totally awesome. What are you waiting for?
I read a recent buyer comment on Amazon that was complaining they were making a mistake and providing Mac users with PC serial numbers which didn't work. This scared me off a little. I own the game for Windows where I only recently switched to Mac but haven't played it yet and would love to pick up the OS X version for cheap if I can. I am hesitant now though after what I read.

You were able to install and use the supplied serial number with no issues? I'll go grab a copy too if so.

----------

Avernum: Escape from the Pit is on sale cheap on Steam as a daily special but it is running out soon today. It's going for under 4 bucks.

Also, Avernum 4, 5 and 6 for Mac can be had for dirt cheap by getting the current Groupees sale bundle at http://groupees.com/bemine3

For as cheap as four bucks you can get all three Avernums for quite the value for the money if you'd enjoy some old school RPG gameplay.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:28 AM   #12
DeFish
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Deathspank
Dragon Age: Origins
Dungeons Of Dredmor
Eschalon: Book I & II
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Neverwinter Nights 2
DeFish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:10 PM   #13
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
Yap if you like that game you really like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion. They are all windows games and there no mac version .

I don't know any Mac games like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion but they are really awesome games.
I know this thread is for games that are expressly written for Mac, but you need to know that you can run MANY windows games on the Mac using 'wrappers', as long as you have the game disc/downloads. Check out the Porting Team's site.

http://portingteam.com/frontpage

Using wrappers from their site and my game discs, I am able to run Morrowind, Oblivion, Battle for Middle Earth II, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Star Wars - Republic Commando right in Mac OS X, full speed, full screen, native resolution. Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
I read a recent buyer comment on Amazon that was complaining they were making a mistake and providing Mac users with PC serial numbers which didn't work. This scared me off a little. I own the game for Windows where I only recently switched to Mac but haven't played it yet and would love to pick up the OS X version for cheap if I can. I am hesitant now though after what I read.

You were able to install and use the supplied serial number with no issues? I'll go grab a copy too if so.[COLOR="#808080"]
I saw those comments too, but rolled the dice. Download took quite a while. Install took almost 45 minutes all told. Was asked for keys, provided what I got (one of them was asked for twice, made me nervous).

Everything worked flawlessly. The game rocks. Go get it, man!
__________________
Knowledge is power. Learn something new every day!
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:15 PM   #14
bokdol
macrumors 6502a
 
bokdol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to bokdol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
You were able to install and use the supplied serial number with no issues?
I bought the amazon deal for mac and i can say the codes work. the ultimate edition of origins.

also i am able to download the PC version using the same codes off of EA's ORIGIN service.
__________________
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" - Darth Vader
bokdol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:24 PM   #15
nec207
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
What is wrappers.

I think a lot people use Wine or emulator if they do not want to buy windows on Mac.
nec207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:20 PM   #16
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2012
Just snagged the Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition deal on Amazon. Thanks guys! Sweet deal! :-)
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:37 PM   #17
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
What is wrappers.

I think a lot people use Wine or emulator if they do not want to buy windows on Mac.
Wrappers are what WINE creates in order to provide a windows environment to the program you want to run. So, wrappers and WINE are kinda the same thing.

Emulators for windows, well . . . there are programs that 'virtualize' the windows environment on an OS that is not windows. They snag some of your hard drive and create a container that basically becomes a separate computer on your Mac. The popular commercial one is Parallels Desktop. A good free one is VirtualBox. You need a copy of Windows to install into them, though. And there are performance hits.

WINE, if the wrappers contain all the services the program needs, does not have significant performance hits because it is not an emulator. WINE actually stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

Just go check out the Porting Team, and see if you can get some of your Windows games to go. It's usually a no go, but every once in a while, like Morrowind in my case, it's awesome!
__________________
Knowledge is power. Learn something new every day!
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:47 AM   #18
nec207
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Wrappers are what WINE creates in order to provide a windows environment to the program you want to run. So, wrappers and WINE are kinda the same thing.
Ya so Wrappers or WINE are sort of like emulators.

Quote:
Emulators for windows, well . . . there are programs that 'virtualize' the windows environment on an OS that is not windows. They snag some of your hard drive and create a container that basically becomes a separate computer on your Mac. The popular commercial one is Parallels Desktop. A good free one is VirtualBox. You need a copy of Windows to install into them, though. And there are performance hits.
Well emulators are not virtualize box. All emulators do is translate code. Where virtualize box is running OS on under control of the main OS . So you can boot into OS X and run virtualize box of any OS .



Quote:
WINE, if the wrappers contain all the services the program needs, does not have significant performance hits because it is not an emulator. WINE actually stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".
I don't see how emulator would be performance hit all it is doing is translate code.

Quote:
Just go check out the Porting Team, and see if you can get some of your Windows games to go. It's usually a no go, but every once in a while, like Morrowind in my case, it's awesome!
What is this porting or port thing that people keep saying .
nec207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:21 PM   #19
tomtom2234
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
Anyone know of some good RPG games for Mac?

Here is list of some RPG games I know of that will run with out bootcamp or wine.



Torchlight
Neverwinter Nights 2

Dungeons Of Dredmor
Dragon Age: Origins
Dinís Curse

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Borderlands
Avadon
Two Worlds 2
The Black Fortress
WoW
Avernum
Neverwinter Nights
Helbreath


All these games will run on OS X.
Uhh, hello, Diablo III!?
tomtom2234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:10 AM   #20
Crysis 3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom2234 View Post
Uhh, hello, Diablo III!?
Diablo 3 has a mac, working version ?
Crysis 3 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:29 AM   #21
JonasDK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis 3 View Post
Diablo 3 has a mac, working version ?
Are you being sarcastic?

If not, I don't even...
__________________
27" iMac (mid 2011): 3,1Ghz i5, 12GB RAM (Crucial), 2 TB HD (Seagate), 6970M 1 GB
JonasDK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:39 AM   #22
oklaonion
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis 3 View Post
Diablo 3 has a mac, working version ?
Yes. It is native on Mac. Although it is a bit more taxing than your typical Blizzard game (my 2009 Macbook Pro 9400m basically cannot run it). Cheers!
__________________
13" MacBook Air; iPhone 5; Apple TV 3; iPod 5th Generation.
oklaonion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:22 PM   #23
nlkccom
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Just downloaded and installed Dragon Age Origins on my base line MBP with Retina. When I started the game and clicked Play, I only get sound. Anyone else have this issue?
nlkccom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 08:52 AM   #24
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816
 
iMacFarlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Phaselocking Psychos somewhere on Pandora
Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
I don't see how emulator would be performance hit all it is doing is translate code.
Exactly. It is translating code. Constantly. Would you rather read a book in your native language, or have someone interpret a book written in a foreign language to you? Which one might take longer than the other? WINE provides all the components necessary to simulate a complete Windows environment. The program runs, and as far as it knows, it's running in windows. If it needs some GUI element, it's there. If it calls for some system DLL, there it is. It's native, therefore it's fast. Emulators have to translate EVERY BYTE of executable code from the source into the binary equivalent to produce the original intended action on the target platform. This takes time, and a performance hit results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nec207 View Post
What is this porting or port thing that people keep saying .
Just click on the link in one of my previous posts for the porting team. It's good stuff.
__________________
Knowledge is power. Learn something new every day!
iMacFarlane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 09:14 AM   #25
nec207
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacFarlane View Post
Exactly. It is translating code. Constantly. Would you rather read a book in your native language, or have someone interpret a book written in a foreign language to you? Which one might take longer than the other? WINE provides all the components necessary to simulate a complete Windows environment. The program runs, and as far as it knows, it's running in windows. If it needs some GUI element, it's there. If it calls for some system DLL, there it is. It's native, therefore it's fast. Emulators have to translate EVERY BYTE of executable code from the source into the binary equivalent to produce the original intended action on the target platform. This takes time, and a performance hit results.



Just click on the link in one of my previous posts for the porting team. It's good stuff.
Well WINE is kind of like a emulator.Well WINE may simulate some windows environment I can't see it doing to much has that will need windows to be installed.
nec207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OS X: Good Racing Games for Mac OS X? MathBunny123 Mac and PC Games 3 Aug 30, 2013 06:58 PM
Any RPG Games? jmdpacififorum iPad Apps 3 Jul 29, 2013 06:27 AM
OS-neutral: RPG games for iPhone for flight? raw8725 Mac and PC Games 2 Jun 24, 2013 04:50 PM
OS X: Any good strategy games for Mac? Elektrikz Mac and PC Games 37 May 10, 2013 08:46 PM
Any good baseball games for mac? danidoll521 Mac and PC Games 1 Jun 28, 2012 10:32 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC