Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alchemyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey guys,

I currently have all my videos stored on an external hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme. My MBP runs a program called Connect360 which works as a pathway so I can wirelessly play my videos on my Xbox 360.

Now, I'm considering buying an ATV for the Airplay Mirroring in ML and was wondering if it is also possible for me to stream direct from my wireless hard drive to the ATV (thus cancelling the need for my MBP to be running)? I would be prepared to jailbreak if I have to as long as the ATV doesn't constantly try to update itself.

So I guess my question is, if jailbroken, can an ATV access my hard drive thats connected to my Airport Extreme and directly play my videos?

Also, would I have to buy an ATV2 to JB? Or can I do that on an ATV3?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
You will need a jailbroken AppleTV 2 with XBMC installed to stream your files from a NAS (like your Airport Extreme setup) directly to your AppleTV

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
to make it a bit clearer, the 3 is yet to be jailbroken. so you would have to find a 2, which are getting pricier on places like ebay for this very reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.