Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I wonder what we will get with Apple TV 3 iOS 6 Beta 1 ?

Nothing been talked about it at wwdc.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nothing new or exciting, just support for Lion Mirroring and Bug fixes.

beta 2 is now also available OTA, I still haven't gotten my hands on that.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey

would be lovely if we get 3rd party apps

and if they find an exploit in new beta we might get a jailbreak and our atv3 will rock

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

Bug fixes can be exciting. Especially if they move subtitles from the top of the screen to the bottom!!!;)

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Bug fixes can be exciting. Especially if they move subtitles from the top of the screen to the bottom!!!;)

i am expecting to get a transparent bar removal behind subtitles.

And video quality selectable.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
i am expecting to get a transparent bar removal behind subtitles.

And video quality selectable.
From what I read, the gray subtitle bar was absent in beta 1 but the subtitles were at the top of the screen. So I guess what I was referring to would be the bug fix that moved the subtitles into a correct position and, yes, the gray bar would still be absent

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
From what I read, the gray subtitle bar was absent in beta 1 but the subtitles were at the top of the screen. So I guess what I was referring to would be the bug fix that moved the subtitles into a correct position and, yes, the gray bar would still be absent

that bar was the weirdest thing i have ever seen, its really an odd idea to put that behind the subtitles. I really tried hard to understand the reason behind this action.

whats the use of it ?

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
You know what would be nice in iOS 6, is if they listed your own TV Shows on a per show basis instead of listing all the bloody seasons on the main list. Some idiot at Apple wants firing for thinking that was ever a good design decision.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
You know what would be nice in iOS 6, is if they listed your own TV Shows on a per show basis instead of listing all the bloody seasons on the main list. Some idiot at Apple wants firing for thinking that was ever a good design decision.

ATV is apples device that gets lesser updates than other devices. They are improving every idevice but not atv frequently.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
that bar was the weirdest thing i have ever seen, its really an odd idea to put that behind the subtitles. I really tried hard to understand the reason behind this action.

whats the use of it ?

I have read elsewhere that they felt it improved the "readability" of the subtitle. Guess you have to give them credit for trying to improve something and once there was enough feedback that it did not do what they thought it would do they remove it. But as you noted in another thread, their updates are infrequent for this system.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
I have read elsewhere that they felt it improved the "readability" of the subtitle. Guess you have to give them credit for trying to improve something and once there was enough feedback that it did not do what they thought it would do they remove it. But as you noted in another thread, their updates are infrequent for this system.

If they want to improve readability they should give us an option to change font types, font sizes, subtitle positions, color options.

That stupid bar is just reducing my watchablity, its on and off on and off.

For apple, idevices are everything but atv is nothing :) they are focusing too much on idevices and ios.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
For apple, idevices are everything but atv is nothing :) they are focusing too much on idevices and ios.

For that it worths, the Apple TV was design by the same team that does the Routers (Airport Devision), just until recently they actually split the team and now the Apple TV have a Dedicated design team, they are also hiring several position for it.

I believe they are working actually harder than most people think on it, It could be the mystical Apple TV set, or something else, but as anything apple, secrecy and prototypes are only in the backroom.

we should see something soon (By soon I mean sometime after the next iPhone)

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
For that it worths, the Apple TV was design by the same team that does the Routers (Airport Devision), just until recently they actually split the team and now the Apple TV have a Dedicated design team, they are also hiring several position for it.

I believe they are working actually harder than most people think on it, It could be the mystical Apple TV set, or something else, but as anything apple, secrecy and prototypes are only in the backroom.

we should see something soon (By soon I mean sometime after the next iPhone)

Well, any new update on hardware ? another 99dollars ha ? :) I hope they will keep supporting old ATV3 users. I think they will do magic want to atv4.

The ios on atv is chopped and very limited, we want to see mind blowing things from this machine. Now it is not using its full capacity.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Release an aTV 4 that allows me to add sources that will allow me to cut the satellite cord and I will gladly pay another $99. Even if it's tomorrow. I want:
CBS (currently can use ota)
ABC (currently can use ota)
NBC (currently can use ota)
Fox (currently can use ota)
ESPN
Discovery
Bravo
A&E

Not much to ask for.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Release an aTV 4 that allows me to add sources that will allow me to cut the satellite cord and I will gladly pay another $99. Even if it's tomorrow. I want:
CBS (currently can use ota)
ABC (currently can use ota)
NBC (currently can use ota)
Fox (currently can use ota)
ESPN
Discovery
Bravo
A&E

Not much to ask for.

I do not think they are even considering it. They want to make ATV the evolution, next generation of TV and change peoples watching traditions. If they put a tuner on atv then it will lose the aim it is built and developed for.

Apple never support old technology when there is a new one shining.

VOD is the next generation so they will keep focusing on it, the channels will move to VOD only mode when it is ready.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I do not think they are even considering it. They want to make ATV the evolution, next generation of TV and change peoples watching traditions. If they put a tuner on atv then it will lose the aim it is built and developed for.

Apple never support old technology when there is a new one shining.

VOD is the next generation so they will keep focusing on it, the channels will move to VOD only mode when it is ready.
That's what I was referring to, VOD for that content not a built in tuner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.