Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
If I do a clean install of lion on my new SSD, will time machine load all the iLife apps including my photos? Also after the Lion install will there be a backup recovery drive automatically installed on the new SSD? I will be using the Internet recovery feature to install Lion on my new SSD. Thanks!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
TM will restore everything. Some Adobe apps may require activation but everything else will be there.

Just install Lion till it asks if you want TM restore and pick that.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
TM will restore everything. Some Adobe apps may require activation but everything else will be there.

Just install Lion till it asks if you want TM restore and pick that.

Ok thanks for the reply. What about formatting the SSD? I watched some YouTube videos, some people go to disk utility and erase the drive then choose the journaled setting. Other people go into partition and select partition one.

Which way do I format the drive, erase or partition? Not one video showed anybody doing both. Sorry for the rookie questions.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok thanks for the reply. What about formatting the SSD? I watched some YouTube videos, some people go to disk utility and erase the drive then choose the journaled setting. Other people go into partition and select partition one.

Which way do I format the drive, erase or partition? Not one video showed anybody doing both. Sorry for the rookie questions.

Since you already have the partition you need there, as long as you don't change the partition settings, they would both accomplish the same thing. In Disk Utility click "Macintosh HD" and erase is easiest and the least confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.