Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
I tried setting up a Apple TV 3 in a corporate enviroment yesterday. Both the ATV and the iPhone 4 (5.1), MBA 2010 Lion was using the same guest network (wifi). I turned AirPlay on, and connected to the same network with phone and laptop. However I didn't get the AirPlay icon on either mobile music or in iTunes Lion.

Since I dont have any insight to the network, could it be that it's blocking some ports? All the devices were on the same subnet, so there normally wouldt be any firewall in between those. No blocking between 172.3.3.2 and 172.3.3.5 that is.

Does AirPlay require a certain connection strength or something like that? Or anything in particular set up in iTunes in Lion?

After googling this issue online (obviously there are a lot of sources for error in a setup like this) I updated the ATV to the latest fw. But was't able to connect after that either. Any tips greatly appreciated.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I tried setting up a Apple TV 3 in a corporate enviroment yesterday. Both the ATV and the iPhone 4 (5.1), MBA 2010 Lion was using the same guest network (wifi). I turned AirPlay on, and connected to the same network with phone and laptop. However I didn't get the AirPlay icon on either mobile music or in iTunes Lion.

Since I dont have any insight to the network, could it be that it's blocking some ports? All the devices were on the same subnet, so there normally wouldt be any firewall in between those. No blocking between 172.3.3.2 and 172.3.3.5 that is.

Does AirPlay require a certain connection strength or something like that? Or anything in particular set up in iTunes in Lion?

After googling this issue online (obviously there are a lot of sources for error in a setup like this) I updated the ATV to the latest fw. But was't able to connect after that either. Any tips greatly appreciated.

My apple tv's have problems on my network when they have ip's assigned by DHCP, fine when they're manual.

You can find the airplay ports on the common port table at apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
My apple tv's have problems on my network when they have ip's assigned by DHCP, fine when they're manual.

You can find the airplay ports on the common port table at apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629

Hi, tried the setup today on two different corporate networks. Still the same issue. Able to connect with MBA, iPhone and ATV 3 to the same network - but no AirPlay icon on iTunes MBA or iPhone.
  • Apple TV has FW 5.0.2
  • iPhone has iOS 6 beta 2
  • MBA has 10.7.4
  • Have tried Home sharing, ATV is a now show
  • Have tried two different cooporate networks, static IP on both

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
there is a chance the network is blocking all communication between wireless devices.

**on your mac, do you see other devices in your finder (shared network computers)

**on the aTV get the IP address (settings -> general -> network). then on your mac open terminal and type and the ip
for example
Code:
ping 192.168.0.45
you should get some response.

**reboot your iOS device, sometimes this helps.

**get istumbler, you should see the other devices showing up in the bonjour section. services on you air shouldd definitely show up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.