Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but is iOS 6 an OTA update? Or does it require plugging into iTunes?

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I'd be absolutely shocked if it required plugging in.

Apple's on the OTA train now.

I ask because I'm pretty sure in last year's iOS 5 keynote, Apple was touting OTA for incremental upgrades only. Would be great if X.0 upgrades were also OTA.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I think you misunderstood. They said they'd moved to OTA updates because they were delta updates and much smaller.

Previously even the point updates were full OS downloads. That sucked, Apple would release a simple "bug fix" and you'd need to download 700MB...

hektor5wolf

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
Straight from Apple`s site:
iOS 6 gives you more features to make the things you do every day even better. It’s coming this fall, and it’s free and easy to upgrade wirelessly on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch — the moment it’s available.

Last edited:

HE15MAN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Florida's Treasure Coast
Straight from Apple`s site:
iOS 6 gives you more features to make the things you do every day even better. It’s coming this fall, and it’s free and easy to upgrade wirelessly on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch — the moment it’s available.

Awesome! Their servers are going to get destroyed from people looking to see if its out

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Even if it was OTA, I wouldn't do a OTA. I never upgrade major release via OTA because you're carrying all the legacy stuff from the previous OS. I'm sure everything will work fine OTA, but I just don't like junk left over.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Awesome! Their servers are going to get destroyed from people looking to see if its out

It's an annual thing. It's like Nerd Christmas. I remember downloading iTunes on my work computer then downloading the software update, wiping my iPhone just to get iOS 5. Thank goodness Apple will spare me the trouble with iOS 6.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I remember with the iOS 5 release, the servers got hammered. I decided to use "other channels" to download the GM as soon as it was released to Devs and installed it then, since it's the Gold Master, you don't need to worry about activation/expiry.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
Even if it was OTA, I wouldn't do a OTA. I never upgrade major release via OTA because you're carrying all the legacy stuff from the previous OS. I'm sure everything will work fine OTA, but I just don't like junk left over.

You never update a major release OTA? We haven't had a major release yet. Until 5.0 we had to update via itunes. so 6.0 is the first major release update via OTA. just saying because 5.1 and 5.1.1 weren't major.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Update to iOS 6 OTA, Erase all Content and Settings, then setup as new. Presto, pristine 6.0 installation.

Michael

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
You never update a major release OTA? We haven't had a major release yet. Until 5.0 we had to update via itunes. so 6.0 is the first major release update via OTA. just saying because 5.1 and 5.1.1 weren't major.

That was not I was saying at all. It doesn't matter that there will be an OTA for iOS 6, the point I was making is that I do fresh restores for OSs when a major release comes out whether or not an OTA is provided.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
Nice i'll probably do this OTA then.

Will probably leave it till thursday though, remember the nightmare that was the iOS 5 release day last year.

Krayzie116

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
question on updating iOS from 5.1.1 would I lose my text messages? is there a way I can do without losing them?

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Point releases I'll do OTA., but I plan on firing up my iMac Wednesday morning (iOS 6 is coming out Wednesday, right?) and downloading it. That way, if Apple's servers stop responding, or my internet connection fails, or whatever, I still have a working iPhone for the rest of the day. When I get home from work that evening is when I'll locally do the actual update.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Got IOS 5 via computer last year but will likely do ios 6 OTA don't see what harm it will do

Just like I will backup when I get the 5

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Does anyone know what the OTA file size(estimated) will be? I mean going from ios5 to ios6 when people do it tomorrow.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
If this is not OTA my company run in deep trouble. We roll-out 20'000 iPad with Single Device Policy; real Post PC scenario. No iTunes near by the user. We depend on OTA. Soon we will see ...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
So thursday 1 am on my side.

Any idea roughly how big the file is? Wanna see if there is enough time to download and install it before leaving for work. :cool:

trustme

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
OTA doesn't work on jailbroken phones correct? Is there a work around for this? Other than connecting it to iTunes.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
OTA doesn't work on jailbroken phones correct? Is there a work around for this? Other than connecting it to iTunes.

doubt it! i rem reading here several times that you should NEVER do an OTA update on a jailbroken iphone. Always plug it into itunes, do a restore first before the upgrade to iOS6.

if ur phone is jailbroken and u dont wanna lose ur tweaks n all, i suggest waiting for the jailbreak first. thats what i'm doing. ill upgrade my wife's 4s first and play around with that to satisy my excitement :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.