Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jj97101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
So here's my situation, I have to buy a new laptop for school and my dad has very generously agreed to put in $11,000 (HKD), for that I am getting the MacBook air 13 inch with 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM, (My mum is a university teacher so she gets the educational discount) what I am worried about is that the 128GB will not be big enough, I'd like to use it for my movies, I have a ~30GB library and around the same in music but I'm not too keen on carrying around an external hard drive. I do want to use boot camp so I need space for that as well. Now, I have an iPad 2 64GB 3G (which I bought with my own saved up money). I don't have the money now to put the extra on the 11,000 for the 256GB SSD (it's about $2000 extra). So... Should I sell my iPad to get the extra space? I mainly use my iPad for apps, movies and music.
Thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Keep the iPad, get the MBA and then later down the road see if you really do need the extra storage. Unlike the memory the SSD is replaceable (though not considered user replaceable).

The 2010 and 2011 MBAs can have their SSDs upgraded from third party suppliers, so in the course of time, its presumable that you'll be able to do that with the 2012 model

jj97101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Keep the iPad, get the MBA and then later down the road see if you really do need the extra storage. Unlike the memory the SSD is replaceable (though not considered user replaceable).

The 2010 and 2011 MBAs can have their SSDs upgraded from third party suppliers, so in the course of time, its presumable that you'll be able to do that with the 2012 model

Thanks for the quick reply, can I upgrade the SSD at apple? It's just my dad won't buy it for me without the apple care and I don't want to pay for it if I void it.
P.S. I probably will be changing in about 3 years, hopefully for a MacBook air again if I'm happy with it.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
Have you considered leaving an SD card permanently in the MacBook for your media?

You can easily add 32GB of storage that way. 64GB might even work too.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Upgrading the storage is not considered user serviceable, therefor it will void the warranty. Apple will not upgrade your storage either.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple doesn't offer post purchase SSD upgrades for the MBA (AFAIK). I know in the US, you can buy SSD upgrades for the 2010 and 2011 MBAs from OWC.

If you're comfort level is rather low regarding doing the upgrade yourself, then perhaps buying it with the larger SSD may be the best bet.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Have you considered leaving an SD card permanently in the MacBook for your media?

Just be aware the the SD card is going to stick out from the side of the laptop. Unlike some PC laptops, SD cards do not sit flush in Macs.

jj97101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012

I saw on one of the reviews that the problem with this was that the SD card doesn't go all the way in so it isn't a very practical way to do it as you can't leave it in all the time, and really that's why I want the extra space, so everything is on the computer, the reason I'm getting the air is because it's light and portable

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2010
I saw on one of the reviews that the problem with this was that the SD card doesn't go all the way in so it isn't a very practical way to do it as you can't leave it in all the time, and really that's why I want the extra space, so everything is on the computer, the reason I'm getting the air is because it's light and portable

With a micro SD it will be much better.

MiniDrivev10.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1206894/

Last edited by a moderator:

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I would just dump my iTunes library (or at least the videos) onto an SD card and only access them when I needed them. I have all my music on my iPhone and my iPad, so if I was really concerned for space I could just use either of them for listening and only connect the SD card when I needed to add to my library or update my phone.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
I've got 2 of the Elago Nano II Mico SD card readers on each USB port on my 11 inch MBA. I just ordered a 32gb Micro SD as I already have 1 and a 16gb (new 32gb to replace 16gb). These stick out a tiny bit and are barely noticable. I picked up the 2-32gb micro sd cards for $15 each off of Newegg, the Micro SD card readers are less than $10 each, so for less than $50, you can add an additional 64gb worth of storage.

mikeytrend

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I don't think your iPad 2 will get you the kind of money you would need for an SSD upgrade. You would be better off keeping both and either using an external HDD for those rare occasions you want to watch a movie, or investing in a movie streaming service (Not sure what's available in your location).

Also, with the movie streaming service you could potentially use your iPad!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1369507/
I would also check out this forum post on USB drives, I'm sure similar things would apply to SD cards.

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012
So here's my situation, I have to buy a new laptop for school and my dad has very generously agreed to put in $11,000 (HKD), for that I am getting the MacBook air 13 inch with 128GB SSD and 8GB of RAM, (My mum is a university teacher so she gets the educational discount) what I am worried about is that the 128GB will not be big enough, I'd like to use it for my movies, I have a ~30GB library and around the same in music but I'm not too keen on carrying around an external hard drive. I do want to use boot camp so I need space for that as well. Now, I have an iPad 2 64GB 3G (which I bought with my own saved up money). I don't have the money now to put the extra on the 11,000 for the 256GB SSD (it's about $2000 extra). So... Should I sell my iPad to get the extra space? I mainly use my iPad for apps, movies and music.
Thanks in advance.

I am from HK too. I also enjoyed the education discount. I think if you get the 256 GB high end 13 inch model, 8 GB ram, you will end up paying 11790HKD. If you save up, you can pay the $790 yourself. Good luck!

jj97101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
I am from HK too. I also enjoyed the education discount. I think if you get the 256 GB high end 13 inch model, 8 GB ram, you will end up paying 11790HKD. If you save up, you can pay the $790 yourself. Good luck!

Yeh, I can pay for the extra $790 but with the AppleCare, the price goes up to $13,300 and that I cannot pay for, my iPad will more than cover it, my main question was will my Air be able to replace my iPad?

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012
Yeh, I can pay for the extra $790 but with the AppleCare, the price goes up to $13,300 and that I cannot pay for, my iPad will more than cover it, my main question was will my Air be able to replace my iPad?

Dont go for AppleCare.

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Out of curiosity, why not? My dad's very insistent on it but if I can convince him not to get it then I can easily get the 256GB SSD.
Thanks

If I were to buy it it would be just before the warranty expires as you can get it anytime within 12 months. This will give you enough time to save up for it (a few coins each month).

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Out of curiosity, why not? My dad's very insistent on it but if I can convince him not to get it then I can easily get the 256GB SSD.
Thanks

Your father might find it cheaper to put your computer on his home owner's insurance policy. AppleCare is great but it offers zero theft protection, something to think about.

jj97101

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
If I were to buy it it would be just before the warranty expires as you can get it anytime within 12 months. This will give you enough time to save up for it (a few coins each month).

You sir are a genius, never thought of that and it is a great idea, Thank you so much, now I won't have to sell my iPad!!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
will my Air be able to replace my iPad?

Depends on what you use your iPad for. If you are like me and use your iPad mostly in places where opening up a laptop is inconvenient, then obviously no, the Air isn't a satisfactory replacement. Keep in mind that the 13 inch Air takes considerably more surface area than the iPad -- I'd say about 1+2/3 of an iPad -- and you've got to open up the lid to use it. So it's mostly a matter of if you can deal with needing that much room in order to do whatever it is you do. Functionally speaking, the Air can do everything an iPad can do, and more, except for some apps that work better with multi-touch controls, but if you are using an app like that I'd think you'd know without having to ask a forum.

chanyitian

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2012
Thanks

Apple products are of good build quality. Im sorry, by dont get apple care, i meant dont get apple care at the instant when you buy the macbook air. Get it when your first year of warranty is about to expire. This is because, if your mac gets stolen, your apple care will be wasted. Purchasing the apple care 1 year later can lower your risk. BTW, by then, you could have saved enough money for your applecare.

----------

You sir are a genius, never thought of that and it is a great idea, Thank you so much, now I won't have to sell my iPad!!

The iPad is great. I wouldnt sell it if I were you. Moreover, when you regret it and buy a new one, it will cost you a lot more. In the long run, you lose. I recommend saving some money for the extra 790, buy the high end macbook and take the year to save the 1330 for your apple care. you can purchase them at the ifc mall BEFORE the warranty expires:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.