Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
brianrumsey
macrumors newbie

Apple TV 2 vs 3

I'm thinking about getting my first Apple TV soon. Looking at eBay and Amazon, it looks like the AppleTV 2 is going for more than it cost new and more than the newer version. I take it from some searching that it's easier to jailbreak the 2 than the current version. Are there other reasons as well?
brianrumsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrumsey View Post
I'm thinking about getting my first Apple TV soon. Looking at eBay and Amazon, it looks like the AppleTV 2 is going for more than it cost new and more than the newer version. I take it from some searching that it's easier to jailbreak the 2 than the current version. Are there other reasons as well?
Nope. Jailbreak is the only reason.
nuckinfutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrumsey View Post
I take it from some searching that it's easier to jailbreak the 2 than the current version.
It's not only easier but in fact as I write this afaik you can't jailbreak the ATV 3 .... Only the ATV2. Hence the inflated price.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Dustman
macrumors 65816

Jailbreaking the ATV2 gives it significantly more usefulness, so if you have a desire to JB, I definitely recommend getting the older one, even at a slightly inflated price as there's just so much more value added once it's jailbroken. That said, if you have no desire to do said unlocking, the ATV3 is the obvious choice. If you weren't aware as well, the only difference between the two ATVs is the 2 only does 720P (may not be an issue if your TV is less than 40") whereas the 3 does full 1080P.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Rorlow
macrumors newbie

what is taking firecore so long to come up with the atv3 version of flash . . . seems like I've waited months . . . oh wait I have
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:39 PM   #6
brianrumsey
macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll probably go for the 3 -- 1080p seems like a definite advantage. I hadn't been planning to jailbreak, although with Dustman's strong advocacy of it, maybe I'll look into it and see what added benefits it would give before I make my purchase.
brianrumsey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater